Different character of woods is interesting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I usually make one pen at a time, but yesterday I started 4 pen blanks out of different woods and I rough turned them today, one after another (kingwood, thuya burl, hackberry, beefwood). I was really kind of amazed at how different each one was while I turned it, and doing it this way gives you a very tactile sense of the wood. For example, the kingwood was really hard and took a long time to turn a small amount, the hackberry was dry and crumbly, and the thuya was dense and cut like butter. I know all you experienced turners know this already, but it was cool anyway :oops:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dpstudios

Along with the feel of the woods as you turn, pay attention to the smell of the woods. You'd be amazed at the different aromas that come off of the woods. My personal favorites are Cocobolo (spice cake) and olive wood (olive salad). Least favorites, Elm (can't mention what it smells like, family site) and Willow (aspirin). Enjoy.

MTViper

I'm with Dan, pay attention to the smells. I love the look and feel of the different woods, but some of them just smell wonderfully. Thuya burl is one of my favorites. I've turned a few pens from it and not put any finish on them just so the smell lingers. Bocote is another one that smells great along with Olive and Cedar. Cedar makes the whole shop smell sweet.

PenPal

Enjoyed your musings Frederick noted that you stopped short of a Beefwood critique,to me it is a fascinating timber yielding amongst the most exciting of pens with beautiful grain appearances especially those from the north of Australia.

Peter.

robutacion

Doesn't surprise me my passion for all woods based exactly on those facts, touch, smell, colours, densities and grains, turning an unknown wood pen blank can be a very exciting experience a total nightmare or everything in between, imagine what I feel when I slice up a new tree species, quite honestly, I get the same excitement opening up any tree log, known or not, call me mad but I'm not the only person feeling/reacting that way, believe me...! ;)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom