Diamonds... finally!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I finally got some time to play with some variations to get a diamond shape vs squares and triangles.

I basically just had to make a sanding block (the technique I use) with a different angle. But as I make my blanks to fit a specific lube length, figuring out an appealing size was another matter.

This is a three sided inlay, Maple, Padauk and Walnut.

Comments and discussion welcomed.

(And since I have been asked; I absolutely welcome anyone to play with any design or technique I have posted. Furtheremore, If you use these ideas and sell some pens and make money, good for you, it doesn't bother me in the least).)

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood128

Looks great Mark . Well done . Now you could offer an online class and teach woodworkers how to cut and assemble your segmented diamonds/etc pen blanks. Make a video !!!!!!:):curse: Take care

Chief TomaToe

Mark, thank you for always sharing your process with your creations! It is obvious you have put thought into fully understanding the design and how to make sure others understand it too.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark:

Again you aced it!!!!! great looking pen, sure like the three diamond set up.

Cheers

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, now it's your turn :wink:.

Sweet!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think of socks in the fourth picture?

Yup, that's my main source of inspiration... My sock drawer.

Looks great Mark . Well done . Now you could offer an online class and teach woodworkers how to cut and assemble your segmented diamonds/etc pen blanks. Make a video !!!!!!:):curse: Take care

No video for me, just not photogenic. But, I'm doing a demo in Chicago at the next MPG, so no secrets.

The color combo, and design are great. It's good you like doing this. :biggrin:

Thanks Chuck, this was a larger pattern than some, but I'm not sure about getting the diamonds smaller. And yes, it is fun an on occasion keeps me out of trouble.

Looks fantastic! Way to go.

Thanks Cody

They look great ....

Thanks Mark. I'll be bringing about 40 of my segmented pens to the MPG for folks to inspect.

Mark, thank you for always sharing your process with your creations! It is obvious you have put thought into fully understanding the design and how to make sure others understand it too.

I work backwards (I think). I start with the tube length and design the pattern around that dimension. After spending 35 years as a teacher, counselor and therapist I still enjoy sharing whatever I can to assist others. The IAP Community is very special to me, so I try to be open and helpful. There are many ways to do segmenting, and I'm sure others can improve on my efforts. If they see how I did my designs, then the process of refinement can continue.

Always nice when a plan comes together and thloner it takes the more satisfying. Looks really good from here.

Thanks Bruce, this is a continuation of our visit.

There is a song ,hymn called Amazing Grace that uses the words how great thou art. This also IMHO extends to nthese works of art. Amazing indeed.

Kind regards Peter.

Thank you Peter, Cheers.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam

Attachments

• MCO150OPWW-2.jpg
    MCO150OPWW-2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 161

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great diamonds Mark. Is that blank two sided or three?

It's 3 sided Steve - so this was a slotted blank with the inlays fitted to the slot.

You know, that would look better four sided... ;-)

When I look at your prep work my mind goes a little numb!

OK... I deserved that! :handshake:

The prep work is a personal challenge. Growing up in Middle and High school I was poor at math and was repeatedly told so. Now that I am retired I went back and revisited some topics. Five years ago I doubt I would have had the time to relearn this.

Top Bottom