Diamondcast YInMn Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scry

Made this pen for my friend whose favorite pigment happens to be the bluest blue in the world.... and this blue has been the single biggest PITA for me to make. I've noticed it to be softer and more brittle, causing me to have to re-drill from the interior chipping where I need to thread, or cut and recut tenons after trying to thread and the damn thing just turns to cancerous dust no matter how careful I am. It seems to hold scratches a 100x better than the other blanks I've used, or it just shows alot more. Either way, I opted to add a CA finish to fill in the numerous tiny gaps, to which I messed up one of the coats on the cap leaving permanent semi-faint white scratches. I have enough material to re-make the cap, which is what I'll do before I give this pen to my friend tomorrow. Makes for a gorgeous pen though, maybe I just have bad luck with this particular blank, since I've found that I'm particularly fond of other Diamondcast blanks.
20211025_190743.jpg
The scratches in the finish are particularly visible in this photo
20211025_190726.jpg
20211025_190800.jpg

Also a slightly different design than what I usually make - Almost flush cap and body with no clip instead of minimal step down between the body threads and section and a larger cap with a clip

magpens

I LOVE that blue !!!

You have shaped that pen beautifully !!!

I am sure your friend will be delighted !!

Top Bottom