Detroit to Houston

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscola

I'm going to Houston in three weeks leaving from Detroit. Need a easy route. Never been to that part of the U.S.. Looking forward to going! Supposed to go to San Antonio also. Where can I get some turning wood ? What sites should I visit ? Thanks Joe S.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Yarael

Well in Houston about only thing worth seeing is all the NASA stuff. Now in San Antonio you got the Alamo and the river walk. And might as well go up the interstate to Austin lots to see and due there.

vick

Not sure the exact route but I would recomend avoiding Chicago by going down to Indianaplois then cutting across to St Louis.

GBusardo

Have fun on your trip! When I was visiting the Ft Worth area, one of the highlights of the trip was a lunch at Angelo's. Awesome Texas BBQ!!!!

rgundersen

Having done the trip to / from central IL as well as Austin to Indy all of them several times...Get down to Indy take 70 to St. Louis, Personally I take 255 around St Louis, then 44 across MO and OK (note 44 through OK is the Turnpike and is a toll road) to IH 35. 35 south using 35E through Dallas to 45 south.

I generally prefer interstates for long drives so this influences my driving habits a bit also.

As noted there are not a huge number of tourist items in Houston, NASA being the larger one. That being said Houston is the 4th largest city in the country and you can pretty much find most anything to do here.

The is a museum district, theater district, Buffalo Bayou for an outdoor park walking strip in the city, Minute Maid park, Astrodome, and the coastal areas for Galveston, and Kema.

Anyway I currently live in Houston if you need something let me know.

-Robert

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I too am in the Houston area and second the suggestions from Robert. Depending on when your planning on being here and how long, may be we can get together, Robert included.

My favorite place to get wood is Houston Hardwoods, just off 290.

jscola

Thanks to everyone for the input. I will defintly avoid the Chicago area. Monty I don't know how long we will be in Houston but I will e-mail you if I have enough time to get together. Ron, I have a neice in Dallas I would like to see & take to dinner, but it depends on how much time we have to visit. if we get to Dallas I will try to contact you. Thanks for the help Joe S. P.S. Looking forward to the Texas BBQ

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by Monty
<br />I too am in the Houston area and second the suggestions from Robert. Depending on when your planning on being here and how long, may be we can get together, Robert included.

My favorite place to get wood is Houston Hardwoods, just off 290.
If you end up stopped over in Oklahoma City, give a shout!

Dario

If you decide to pass by San Antonio, email me and we'll see if I am free.

I don't go out much so can't help on the good places to eat...if you tell me what type of food you like (or want to try) I can ask around for you.

Not much to see or visit here. I like the Riverwalk, the Missions (old catholic churches), Alamo, SeaWorld, Fiesta Texas. We have an exotic wood store but very pricey. I hardly buy from there but do get lucky every now and then. The store name is Alamo hardwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom