Destroying blanks when drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

If you send me the blanks and the holes you want drilled ...I would be happy to give them a try and send back to you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

My new chucks arrived. I drilled four 12.5 holes and then six 10.5 holes on the lathe, and none blew apart. This is after ruining the previous three out of four that I tried via the drill press.

Same drill bit, for the 12.5. I'm actually not totally sure that it isn't slightly warped, but no blanks bit the dust in this process, so it's usable.

The bits still get super hot. After about a half inch, it is smoking, if I don't stop. So, I'm going just 1/4 inch in or so, then removing the bit and waiting for the whole mess to cool down before continuing.

I'm thinking there are a variety of factors at work, but using the lathe rather than my drill press is alleviating them. It's also a much quicker process.

Thanks all for weighing in.

There's got to be something going on with your technique for the bit to be smoking hot after a half inch.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

penicillin

My new chucks arrived. I drilled four 12.5 holes and then six 10.5 holes on the lathe, and none blew apart. This is after ruining the previous three out of four that I tried via the drill press.

Same drill bit, for the 12.5. I'm actually not totally sure that it isn't slightly warped, but no blanks bit the dust in this process, so it's usable.

The bits still get super hot. After about a half inch, it is smoking, if I don't stop. So, I'm going just 1/4 inch in or so, then removing the bit and waiting for the whole mess to cool down before continuing.

I'm thinking there are a variety of factors at work, but using the lathe rather than my drill press is alleviating them. It's also a much quicker process.

Thanks all for weighing in.
Could you be running the lathe too fast for drilling?

I get hot drill bits too. They get too hot to touch, but not smoking hot. I usually drill a small amount, pull the bit out quickly by pulling out the tailstock (faster!). After that, I wait for it to cool before drilling the next little bit. I drill between 1/2 and 1 inch at a time. It depends on the wood (or plastic).

If my air compressor is running, then I use compressed air to cool off the bit. I have heard of people wiping their bits down with acetone to cool them off, but I have not tried it. Don't let your bits get too hot, or they may lose their cutting ability.

TonyL

I use this: I drill at 700 to 900.

This may have asked above and not looking to insult, but I am assuming the drilling is being performed with the lathe in the forward position. I am just trying to think of anything that may contribute (beyond dull bits)

JonathanF1968

@TonyL Thanks, but I've got everything drilled now. It's workable. I think it has something to do with this wood that I'm using. I've now used three different bits, and they are all getting hotter than usual, with this wood. But I haven't had any more of those blow outs since I started using the lathe.

Top Bottom