Demo for next meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I haven't seen any meeting notices recently but if someone can tell me when the next one is I would be happy to do a demo on casting PR pen blanks complete with vacuum degassing. I can also demonstrate how to build a vacuum chamber for about $25 instead of paying hundreds of dollars for one. Just let me know something plenty in advance so I can arrange my schedule. I can also demonstrate doing inlay pen blanks or stabilizing wood with a vacuum chamber and heat activated resin. Just let me know, I love to share knowledge and teach.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wob50

That is something I would go to the meeting for..any luck on getting the
info your looking for. I think the meetings
are the first Sat of the month..but I think..

Sabaharr

Looks like there is no interest for the meeting but I can answer any questions about the vacuum chamber construction. To start off I got a cylindrical acrylic vase from Michaels about 18" tall and 5" across. I took a scrap piece of pelxliglass 1/2" thick (sure 1/4 would be fine) for a lid and drilled it for a Tee fitting then set a gasket under it. I tapped the threads in that hole and screwed in the fitting. On the Tee I attached a ball valve on one side and a hose nipple on the other. (Later I added a gauge but its not needed). All you need to do then is run a hose to your vacuum pump and you are in business. This one will pull vacuum down to bury the needle at 30. It will easily do 12 pen blanks or 4 duck call blanks at a time. The extra height gives the foam some place to dissipate but I still have to do partial vacuum for a few minutes or it will foam over and run into the hose. I am now looking for an acrylic canister with the lid that locks with a wire mechanism to try to build another one so the lid will seal better. Mine pulls a great vacuum but the gasket does not seal enough to hold it for very long.

Top Bottom