Default in Dyed Stabalized Blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fotoman

I am new to turning stabilized wood so I am not sure if what I am experiencing is normal , a defect, or something I am doing. After turning the blank down to size I find these marks or portions without dye. I have tried four different blanks from two different suppliers with the same results. Can anyone help identify the problem?

Attachments

• Pen Blank.jpg
    Pen Blank.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 64
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

That looks good to me. I'm assuming it's Maple. If so it's all blue. The different shade are probably the differences in the hardness of the wood. I don't know the difference between quilted and curly maple but it looks like one of those.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dying wood blanks will fill any voids in the wood with a color. Some parts of the wood are dense and will not allow dye to penetrate under normal dying vacuum or pressure.

It is possible to use extreme pressure which is advertised to completely color the wood. I have never seen an example of this in real life, but it might be true!!

Mortalis

I have encountered that from time to time and was told it is an unforeseen fault in the dying process. I purchased some water color kids markers and was able to color match it so it wasn't noticeable.
Mine happened in the same material and color as yours did.
I bought THESE at Walmart/Target.

MRDucks2

Not sure if it is correct, but I refer to them as "flecks". I actually like the concentration and size of them in some woods.

Woodchipper

Good question for dyeing wood. I'm getting ready to make a run of several pens and a couple will be dyed hard maple. Might try a scrap first to see how it takes the dye.

egnald

Good question for dyeing wood. I'm getting ready to make a run of several pens and a couple will be dyed hard maple. Might try a scrap first to see how it takes the dye.
I made some dyed Maple pens a couple of years ago. I think they dyed pretty good as far as coverage and flecks are concerned. Of course there were softer and harder areas that absorbed more or less dye as would be expected. I used a water soluble dye after turning but before applying a CA finish but I can't remember the brand of the dye. - Dave

IMG_1276 Cropped.png
IMG_1323 Cropped.jpg

Woodchipper

Thanks, egnald. I just checked; dye is TransTint from Woodcraft. It goes a long way... a couple of drops in or alcohol water makes a lot of dye.
FWIW, I bought a set of five Sharpies. Light wood takes the "ink" quite well. Something different.

Fotoman

Thanks everyone for the information. I don't mind the colour variation in the example egnald showed, but I am not a fan of the very defined places without dye on the ones I am getting. I have tried a water based stain, but it didn't add any colour to the light areas. I will give a sharpie a try. Thanks again

Top Bottom