Deer antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I've turned Whitetail, Mule Deer, Moose and Axis Deer. I like the Axis the most because it seems to be more dense than the others. With that in mind I use CA to fill all the pits and pores then sand and polish. If the antler is smooth I just sand and polish without any finish.

woodwiz1

I've turned Whitetail, Mule Deer, Moose and Axis Deer. I like the Axis the most because it seems to be more dense than the others. With that in mind I use CA to fill all the pits and pores then sand and polish. If the antler is smooth I just sand and polish without any finish.
Thanks Kenny. A friend has given me about 8 lbs of white tail antler and after sanding to 2400 grit I did't think a finish was needed but thought I'd ask the group just to be sure.

Sawdustsmiles

What is the best finish if any for deer antler....
I use CA glue on mine. Then wet sand. Then I buff them and add Renaissance wax.
20201219_164259.jpg
20201218_115754.jpg
20201111_012041.jpg

Pen Joe

Nice looking, great finishes and display, had a fellow stop by and wanted one turned said the talked to a few people that make them but would not make him one, told him to hard to get drilled straight, he had the horn and I have him a price, done deal, he want to know If I could get some of the outer surface to show, told him that might be a trick but did work out, he was happy with the pen I was happy with the price, Joe

Attachments

• Momica hearing aids.jpg
    Momica hearing aids.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 196

keithlong

I have made a lot of pens with deer antler and I always finish mine with thin CA glue. If I a customer that wants the outer bark showing on the pen, I use a curved piece of the antler, a little tricky to drill a straight hole, but the results are well worth the time and patience to do.

Top Bottom