Deer Antler suprise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FrankH4

So my boss had seen some of my pens, and liked them especially the antler ones. I kind half heartedly asked him if he'd bring me some sheds(he raises whitetail) I'd make him a pen or two if he did. This was my desk this morning at 7am. Some still had the velvet on them they didn't smell too good. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.
IMG_20191111_070515272.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howhale

Saw some deer antler pens in a catalog. Was really impressed and asked my grandson, the hunter, if he had any scrap antlers around. He said if I give some to you can I have a pen so I, of course, said sure. Glad I read this thread before he dumped a load of them on me and I just left them sitting around the shop. Might never have figured out where the stench was coming from. Outside they go until the odor is gone. Guess I better tell him his pen might not be forthcoming in the very near future, LOL.

FrankH4

Saw some deer antler pens in a catalog. Was really impressed and asked my grandson, the hunter, if he had any scrap antlers around. He said if I give some to you can I have a pen so I, of course, said sure. Glad I read this thread before he dumped a load of them on me and I just left them sitting around the shop. Might never have figured out where the stench was coming from. Outside they go until the odor is gone. Guess I better tell him his pen might not be forthcoming in the very near future, LOL.

it was only a few of them that stuck honestly the older ones stuck more. fresher ones were not so bad.

howhale

Really nice pens FrankH4. Hope mine come out even close to yours. Also, thanks for the input regarding the age of the antlers and the smell. I think I will purchase some to start while I wait on the grandson to get around to giving me some. I like some of the hardware available to use with the antler barrel.

FrankH4

Thank you , howhale Antlers kind of turn and polish like acrylic. I kinda prefer them to wood now. They are a pain to find straight pieces and drill straight through. I think next batch I will turn them down a bit to a more straight piece before drilling. I don't know if I got lucky bunch but only had one chip out incident.

Good luck howhale, and Woodchipper.

howhale

FrankH4, I wondered about the prep for pieces to turn given the extreme shapes of antlers. That is one reason I am considering the purchase of some to try my hand. Good to know they will turn and polish like acrylic which will be new for me as I have only done wood so far. Maybe I will order a couple pieces of acrylic to try before the antlers. I have turned a couple pens from crepe myrtel salvaged from ones in my yard and after drying. I found shaping them somewhat of the lathe was needed to "straighten" it enough to drill a good straight hole for the tube. Will you try turning yours down between drive centers first to shape them before drilling?

crokett

I drill the antler before I turn it. I plan the angle of the drill bit beforehand. I then turn on a mandrel after the tube is glued in. It can make for a fairly lopsided blank to turn but that seems to work out the best. it is tough to turn pieces of that small a diameter between centers to make them round first

howhale

After cutting a length of antler planned as the piece to turn, I considered "shaping" the selected portion of the antler to reduce the exaggerated areas. I thought I might try one of my sanders, or even a scroll saw to knock off some of the most exaggerated parts. I would hope that I might then be able to plan the tube hole and hold the "shaped" piece better to get a good drill. result.

PBorowick

I've found that drilling the antler in my pen blank vise works very well. I can arrange it to where I know the path of the drill bit and if it will break out the side or not.
I have cut antler on my chop saw and gagged myself out of my shop. I now use my bandsaw for cutting to length and taking off the excess and it is much faster and cleaner!

howhale

Ahhh, dust collection, dust mask, air cleaner and deodorizer seems required for deer antlers. Also, might plan to work on them when the wife is away so I can clear the smell so many describe before she locks me in the shop until it is gone:) I will definitely use the bandsaw or scroll saw. Thanks for the input.

howhale

Another great tip, thanks very much. With all the great help and tips from everyone, I might just have a chance to do this with some success. Thanks.

JWinIndiana

Aw come on guys, the smell isn't that bad. I have been shoeing and trimming horses since 1977, it smells a lot like a horse hoof during the process of being trimmed. With that said, my son in law can field dress a gut shot deer without a problem, but if I am turning or have cut antler in my home shop, he gags and walks back out!

Top Bottom