Darts for the daughter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter called and wanted a set of darts for her brother in law's birthday... this is what I came up with..

Cocobolo with BLO/CA finish..

20078281200_kims%20darts.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Very nice. I've been thinking about doing some darts. How does the weight thing work? Loose beads or is the weight media enclosed in something. Does the weight media shake around in the dart like a rattle toy? I've always wondered how this works. Thanks.

Hey Steve,
The weight is lead wool.. only way I can describe it.. like steel wool, only lead.. you pull off the amount you want and stuff it into the tube.. doesn't move or shake.. you need to have a gram scale so you can make sure you get them all the same weight.. these are at just over 20 grams..

CHICAGOHAND

I made quite a few sets and i had a complaint about the lead moving around in the dart.
The instructions said to pack it in the tube,which leaves to much free space.
Try putting e few drops of CA in the tubes after you establish the correct weight.

Dave,
Good point.. I've only made 3 sets, this being the third and still have one set in stock.. it's a deer antler set and I guess no one wants bone darts.. but I sold second set, made from some really black ebony, never had any questions raised about the weight.. I do stuff it and it seems to pack pretty tight, but think future sets will have the CA dropped in.. can't hurt, right?

tas2181

One the ones I made I take the lead wool and pack it down with a 1/4 flat punch after putting the tip portion on, then drop in a couple of drops of CA. Never had any of the lead move with this method. Had to replace a cracked wood piece once and the only way to get the lead out was to cut the brass tube.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom