Dario ... Collaborative Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Great news! Dario will be joining the Bash Crew! He agreed to run the Collaborative Pen Contest. Dario explained to us that he has a whole lot going on in his family life. With that said, Cav and I told him that we would be ready to jump in to help him whenever needed.

Once Dario is knighted he'll have access to the Bash Planning Forum.

Since the Collaborative Pen Contest is a new event ..... and Dario is walking in cold ..... let's be ready to give him our input about the contest.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

Ummm Dario? Now that you've accepted the position ...... I guess we should probably tell you that we were just kidding about the Bash Crew being paid. You're working for free! :biggrin::biggrin:

DocStram

Okay everybody ... now that Dario is on board. Let's start talking about the Collaborative Pen Contest. This is the first time this event is being held. So we really don't have any previously set ground rules to work from. We're starting from scratch. It will really help if we can give Dario some direction on where we want to go with this.

To kick off the discussion ... let's get talking about how it should run. Here are a couple of questions to consider:

1. Should the Collaborative Pen Contest be limited to only IAP clubs? Or, should we allow anybody to collaborate and work on a pen?

2. What makes a pen "collaborative"? Are we going to say that a minimum number of people must work on the pen? Can 2 people collaborate? 3? at least 4?

3. When we say "collaboration" .... does that mean that a certain number of people actually have to touch the pen when making it? Or can a person draw the design .... another round up the materials .... and a third actually turn it? Or ..... does person actually have to complete a step in making the pen?

4. How are we going to judge the Best Collaborative Pen? Will we have the collaborative teams take a picture and send it to Dario .... so he can post it anonymously .... and then have a three person panel decide on the best pen?

5. Do the pens have to be from the same kit? Can they be kitless?

Let's hear your thoughts!

Dario

Okay everybody ... now that Dario is on board. Let's start talking about the Collaborative Pen Contest. This is the first time this event is being held. So we really don't have any previously set ground rules to work from. We're starting from scratch. It will really help if we can give Dario some direction on where we want to go with this.

To kick off the discussion ... let's get talking about how it should run. Here are a couple of questions to consider:

1. Should the Collaborative Pen Contest be limited to only IAP clubs? Or, should we allow anybody to collaborate and work on a pen?

Sorry I misunderstood, let me retract my initial answer and open it to all. (see answer to #3) :biggrin:

2. What makes a pen "collaborative"? Are we going to say that a minimum number of people must work on the pen? Can 2 people collaborate? 3? at least 4?

We have to consider that some club are very small (being new). Let's not kick them out. Minimum of 2 (physically working on the pen) should be accepted.

3. When we say "collaboration" .... does that mean that a certain number of people actually have to touch the pen when making it? Or can a person draw the design .... another round up the materials .... and a third actually turn it? Or ..... does person actually have to complete a step in making the pen?

We have to look at the bigger picture. For me, this should be geared towards improving communication between members and bringing them together. If one can only share ideas...bring them in. Heck, even if they don't share anything as long as they are there (even virtual or by phone)...count them in.

4. How are we going to judge the Best Collaborative Pen? Will we have the collaborative teams take a picture and send it to Dario .... so he can post it anonymously .... and then have a three person panel decide on the best pen?

I believe the "judges" should be "blind". Pictures must be sent to a central "neutral" person who will forward it to us. Picture parameters must be set too like size, angles, etc.

Let's encourage innovation...free for all.

These are only my thoughts.

Last edited:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
The initial name I came up with, after an idea by Jeff was "Club Collaboration Contest"

I feel that this contest is to be used to recognize the local IAP chapters. As such, I feel that only local IAP chapters should be allowed to compete.

If the consensus of opinion is different, we can go however you want. If it is opened to "collaborating members" it seems to me that we may have problems.

Dario

William,

If that is the case then no problem.

Didn't know the concept history but we can use this to encourage forming new clubs. :wink:

Let's keep the ideas coming!

BTW, Thanks Al! this is a great start.

wdcav1952

Since I like Purple and Gold I will use purple to voice my thoughs.

1. Should the Collaborative Pen Contest be limited to only IAP clubs? Or, should we allow anybody to collaborate and work on a pen? As you likely know, I favor IAP clubs only

Sorry I misunderstood, let me retract my initial answer and open it to all. (see answer to #3) :biggrin:

We have to consider that some club are very small (being new). Let's not kick them out. Minimum of 2 (physically working on the pen) should be accepted. Sounds reasonable

We have to look at the bigger picture. For me, this should be geared towards improving communication between members and bringing them together. If one can only share ideas...bring them in. Heck, even if they don't share anything as long as they are there (even virtual or by phone)...count them in. I like this idea.

I believe the "judges" should be "blind". Pictures must be sent to a central "neutral" person who will forward it to us. Picture parameters must be set too like size, angles, etc.
I can be "Photo Central" I would eliminate identifying titles from the photo and send them to the judges. Rules should state that nothing on the photo should identify the club as some might make a desk set with the club logo engraved.

Let's encourage innovation...free for all.Yes!

These are only my thoughts.

Dario

I do like this idea!

I assume the idea is that two or more people in the same chapter physically work on the pen, correct? This means that a person buying a blank like a Cancun from Eugene and making it would not count.

Andrew

Andrew,

You are right.

However, if one of them made a specific blank for the pen...that could qualify if the blank "idea" is new (I think :biggrin:). What say you?

fiferb

I think this idea is great. I also think this event should be announced to the general public TODAY! Many clubs have a difficult time getting together on short notice and may not be scheduled to get together until March or even later right now. I think we should give them a chance to schedule a gathering to at least get started.

Dario

I think this idea is great. I also think this event should be announced to the general public TODAY! Many clubs have a difficult time getting together on short notice and may not be scheduled to get together until March or even later right now. I think we should give them a chance to schedule a gathering to at least get started.

Good point and I was actually about to ask something similar since Cav's calendar (that I saw) didn't mention the launch/announcement date for the contests.

Of course we cannot make the announcement w/o the details yet which looks like we are mostly in agreement now.

Is the announcement date decision mine to make? :biggrin:
Sorry I really don't know the extent of my responsibility yet. :redface:

Another item to discuss is photo submission deadline. I am thinking Feb. 22 which is the Sunday before the Grand Finale.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DocStram

I'm all for announcing the Collaborative Pen Contest ASAP. But first ... we absolutely must finalized the rules. I think we're close to doing that. Then, once the contest is announced ..... we need to have Dario serve as the point person for answering questions about the rules. When Dario gets an off the wall question he is welcome to make a post in the Bash Planning Forum to get our input. But .... I think that with all of our contests ... whomever is the point person for that specific contest ... is the person to answer the member's questions. We don't want to start second guessing each other and end up looking like jerks.

Does it make sense to have Cav be "The Official Contest Announcement Person"? I think he should be .... if it becomes too much of a burden, I can help.

wdcav1952

MCCav, it does have a rap sound to it. However, I am one of those who thinks rap rhymes with crap for a reason. :biggrin:

Yes, I will post announcements when the contests are ready.

Dario, as soon as you can get a set of rules ready, let me know. I think if a club wants to make a desk set or something else related, that it should be allowed as long as it is pen related and a collaboration by the club members.

wdcav1952

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 67

Dario

William,

Here is what I compiled based on this thread PLUS a few I thought of. Please review and share your thoughts. Of course the wording and organization needs to be polished. :redface:

==========================================

1. This is a "Club Collaboration Contest" (3C) and as such, only IAP clubs can join/compete. Other members are encouraged to form their new local IAP chapters so they can participate.

2. What makes an entry "collaborative"? This is by honor system. Since some clubs/chapters are small...a minimum of 2 physically involved in the creation of the entry will be required. However, it is strongly encouraged to get as many club member to participate as much as possible. Participation doesn't have to be physical, it could be sharing of idea, etc.

For example, a new/innovative casted blank can be one member's contribution to the collaboration.

3. Entry could be any writing instrument. Any kit can be used or it can be kit-less. It can be a pen, a boxed pen, or a desk set. Use your imagination, use anything but limit use of pre-fabricated components to the kit if possible.

4. Judging will be by un-retouched (cropped okay) photos sent to William (minimum of 4). Photos must show the entirety (all sides) of the pen clearly.

Photos must be big enough to show the pen...preferably bigger than actual size.

Photo quality & presentation will earn some points too.

Please avoid putting any identifying logo, name, etc. on the entry. This will help maintain fairness during the judging.

5. Entry submission deadline is 12:00 midnight Eastern time Monday, February. 23 via email to William.

6. Winners will be announced on Thursday, Feb. 26.

===========================================
Question,

Can we leave this open for revision (until the end of Jan) in case we get good input from fellow members after posting?

Just let them have enough to start then we can polish this a bit later.

This is not final by any means (esp the things I added) and definitely not yet complete so please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Sounds good, Dario...the only issue I see is that your rules allow for a situation where someone suggests an idea (cast a goldfish in resin), someone else does it, and that's the collaboration.

Should it be that two individuals PHYSICALLY make a pen, or is the former situation ok?

Andrew

fiferb

I think the name should be changed to Chapter Collaboration Contest instead of Club. More in line with what the chapters are called.

Dario

Sounds good, Dario...the only issue I see is that your rules allow for a situation where someone suggests an idea (cast a goldfish in resin), someone else does it, and that's the collaboration.

Should it be that two individuals PHYSICALLY make a pen, or is the former situation ok?

Andrew

It is addressed at #2 (a minimum of 2 physically involved in the creation of the entry will be required) but please help me word it properly so it will be clear.

I think the name should be changed to Chapter Collaboration Contest instead of Club. More in line with what the chapters are called.

I will let William make this call but I agree it does sound better to me too.

========================================

Any other input? I just made up the Monday midnight deadline, does it sound okay to you guys?

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom