Dangerous Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Without putting any undo emphasis on what method I use (since I use several, depending on my mood), I suggest a read of Russ F's "Secrets" which is located at http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ3.shtml . From what I understand, Russ is updating this, but until the update comes out, I haven't found any better discussion of the pros and cons of each finish material and process. (Although I hope the update will indicate that water-borne lacquers have made huge strides recently.) [8D]

ryannmphs

1) Don't really have one yet. I'm still trying different methods and I'll probably never settle on just one.

2) CA holds up well, I've also had good luck with a pen finished with wipe on poly (Infact I had this pen clipped on my shirt collar, so the pen was next to my skin, while chainsawing up a bunch of wood about a weekago. No problems, whatsoever with the finish)

Just MHO and $.02.

Ryan

tomwojeck

My favorite (for now) is a coat of Behlen's Woodturner's polish followed by a buff with the Beall system. It's my favorite because I can do it on a pretty consistent basis[:I]. I've tried CA, but was never able to master it to the point where I could do it consistently. Although, when I was able to do it, it was a very nice finish

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Man, talk about a can of worms....
I primarily use two finishes... one is a basic CA finish (I don't do BLO/CA)..
The other is a bit different.. cellulose sanding sealer (2-3 coats) buffed out with 000000 steel wool cloth, followed by Turners Magic (lacquer based friction polish), sanded to 12000 MM then TSW and Ren wax...
The finish I use is usually dependent on the wood I am doing... oily woods tend to get the second finish..

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The supply I got was from Berea, but I don't think they carry it anymore.. next time I go into the shop I will try to remember to write down who makes it... I believe the place is in York Pa or close by...

wrightal3

Thanks Griz. Found Woodwrite Ltd on Internet, they sell it for $12.50, think it is same product Woodcraft sells,without a brand name, for $16.50 same size. Will call Them this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom