Dairy Barn Model

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cl1237

cl1237

I've spent the last few weeks finishing up Christmas presents and have not spent much time on the lathe. This project was the culmination of 5 months worth of work and finished just in time to gift it to my mother for Christmas.

This is a 1/4 scale model of my Great Grandmother's basement style dairy barn, built in 1866. Grandma passed away last year and the barn was demolished earlier this year due to its deteriorating condition. I was able to salvage some siding and slate shingles to construct the model.

A good bit of my time on this project was spent figuring out measurements from pictures and google earth. Another tedious task was ripping down the siding into 1/4 inch strips for the model. The silo was the final element I completed..turned from a chunk of poplar. The grain chute on the silo is made out of a piece of flexible aluminum conduit.

I let out a huge sigh of relief after I finished this. At times throughout the build, wasn't sure the end result would do the barn justice. Out of all the things I have made, this will go down as my favorite

Attachments

• IMG_8002.jpeg
    IMG_8002.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8145.jpeg
    IMG_8145.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8146.jpeg
    IMG_8146.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8532.jpeg
    IMG_8532.jpeg
    746.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    825 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8533.jpeg
    IMG_8533.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8538.jpeg
    IMG_8538.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 81
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I like it. You went out of your comfort zone to produce or reproduce an antique that can be kept and handed down generations with memories. I suggest you add some notes about its history somewhere in or on the project so those after you will know what the back story is. Nice work and creative.

Woodchipper

Born and raised on a dairy farm in Ohio. My complements on willing to take on the project and keep the structure alive in miniature.
I have seen many barns like that. There was a big farm just of I-75 outside of Lexington, KY that was like that.

Top Bottom