Cutting Threads Using a Die

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

From all of readings, it appears that the thread diameter less the pitch is the starting dimension of the rod to be threaded (i.e, M10 less .75 = 9.25MM starting rod dimension.)

I have see several videos where the demonstrators start with the same dimensions as the die: a M10 die used on top of a 10mm rod). I guess this will simply results in deeper threads?

How to you go about this?

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Tony,

Thread diameter less the pitch will get you a rod that the die will just slide on to. Thread diameter less the pitch is the hole size for a tapped hole.

For threading male thread, start with the nominal diameter or a couple of thousandths under.

Bill

magpens

Tony,

As Bill said, when you are threading a rod (external threads) with a die, you do NOT subtract anything (except perhaps a couple of thou, possibly).

If you want M10 threads on the outside of a rod, you leave the rod at 10mm , and apply your die to that. . Die size M10 x 0.75

Last edited:

magpens

Tony,

It is only when you are cutting internal threads that you do the substraction to determine what drill size to drill the starting hole for the female threads.

Example: M10 x 0.75 female threads ... Drill a hole 10mm - 0.75mm = 9.25mm and apply your TAP to that. . Tap size M10 x 0.75

Last edited:
Top Bottom