cutting kirinite blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FranM

New to pen turning and to this site and searched and didn't see any info on cutting ex. using a table saw for reducing from 3/4" to 5/8". Bandsaw out of action. No table saw. How could I cut kirinite or other acrylics to barrel length? Not interested in reducing width but cutting blank in half before tube glue up.
Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Kirinite cuts like any other acrylic. I use a power miter saw. If you do this be sure to use a jig to hold the blank. Do NOT hold by hand !!!!

EricRN

I'd use small-parts cross-cut sled and a blade with a high tooth count--definitely a cross-cut blade but, if possible, one of the 80-90T plastic cutting blades.

egnald

I have cut Rhino blanks made with a polyester resin using a standard backsaw and wooden miter box. I don't know how well it would work with Kirinite though since it is made with an acrylic based material. I have a hunch that it would work out just fine though. - Dave

FranM

When traveling or demonstrating away from my shop I use a plastic miter saw box and the back saw that comes with it. Inexpensive and it works fine. One like this.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks! That sounds perfect til my bandsaw gets fixed. Appreciate the help.

FranM

I have cut Rhino blanks made with a polyester resin using a standard backsaw and wooden miter box. I don't know how well it would work with Kirinite though since it is made with an acrylic based material. I have a hunch that it would work out just fine though. - Dave
Still learning all the kinds of plastic blanks. Know not all acrylics are acrylic, kinda generic misnomer. Thanks.

Penchant 4

New to pen turning and to this site and searched and didn't see any info on cutting ex. using a table saw for reducing from 3/4" to 5/8". Bandsaw out of action. No table saw. How could I cut kirinite or other acrylics to barrel length? Not interested in reducing width but cutting blank in half before tube glue up.
Thanks for any help.
1691237418902.png
Nobex Miter Box...have used it for years without issue. Several different blades are available.

Top Bottom