Customs question for UK members

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Blood Woodson

Blood Woodson

This axe is a commission for a military member stationed in England currently. I'm doing research to make sure it bets through customs. This is a fully function axe that I've tested myself. Does anyone know if labeling it "camping tool" would get it through unmolested?

Attachments

• D18E0CAB-C83F-4E53-A595-E758770F8639.jpeg
    D18E0CAB-C83F-4E53-A595-E758770F8639.jpeg
    496.7 KB · Views: 80
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I once sent a knife to a Soldier via an APO address. Needless to say customs was not happy with my description which was "table cutlery" and they confiscated the knife and I received a warning letter about trying it in the future. My advice to you would to get ahold of UK customs and ask them directly. I not only lost the knife but the revenue from the sale and shipping costs.

Customs can get a little testy about invoice descriptions.... not a lot of humor there. I would make a quick call to a local customs office and as the officer there.

I once lost a $500 rifle for a customer... he didn't want to pay the application fee I needed to charge him for the export license for the rifle, he didn't have an export license, but he told me he already had cleared the export with customs and it was okay to ship it.... he was wrong and he got irate with me for questioning him.

Had another run in with customs over a music tape.... when the Beatles first became big in America, there was a start up band in San Francisco called Jefferson Airplanes that the Beatles sent a tape to.... a couple of the band members came by the airport about 8:30 pm to pick up the tape, but it wasn't cleared customs... as a commercial shipment it could not be cleared after 5 pm... they insisted that it wasn't not a commercial shipment, but a gift for them from the Beatles.... The inspector did not buy that and was refusing to release the tape... I called in a supervisor who was more knowledgeable than me.... even he had trouble, but eventually quoted enough regs that customs finally signed off on the release.....

But I got a major REAMing from the inspector and for a couple of years every shipment I present to him, he questioned and gave me a hard time... until one Sunday I had a perishable shipment for a local restaurant whose Mater D, had his own customs license to clear shipments...
no one and I do mean no one on the airport liked dealing with him, he was arrogant, rude and a general AH.... The inspector went through his shipment piece by piece,, fish by fish, duck by duck, cheese by cheese.... and confiscate several items that were forbidden imports.... after that I was back on his good side.

After I moved to Houston and was working the airport there, mostly in exports, I got friendly with several of the local customs inspectors... I told that story above and a couple of the Houston inspectors started laughing and asked if he a guy name Cornealis.... I said yes and they really had a laugh... seems he was a joke through the customs service.

howsitwork

Be honest about what it is in the description . Camping axe / splitting axe . We have these in uk so provided description is fair can't see why they would object . Labelling it as recreational use should be ok as green wood working is highly popular ( do it myself )

Be honest about what it is in the description . Camping axe / splitting axe . We have these in uk so provided description is fair can't see why they would object . Labelling it as recreational use should be ok as green wood working is highly popular ( do it myself )
In spite of my reply above, I agree with Ian... tell it like it is, don't lie trying to get around customs.... you can check to see if it's a forbidden item, otherwise describe it accurately. Customs job is to capture duties and prevent forbidden items from entering the country.

Top Bottom