Curse You Corona Virus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

We have an organization that sponsors tours for veterans to Washington DC (Honor Flight). They usually have around four flights a year and are always seeking volunteers to act as chaperones for the veterans. The chaperones are required to pay their own airfare to DC. Many people do sign up and the waiting list to be selected last years. Being a veteran myself I leapt at the chance and last week finally received an email that I was selected for a trip on April15th. Unfortunately, today I received an email that the flight had been cancelled due to concerns from the Corona virus. While I am very disappointed I recognize it was the right thing to do. This virus can be deadly for our seniors and many of these veterans are from WWII. Hopefully this pandemic doesn't last years and I get selected for another flight in the future.

Seven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Just cancelled or postponed it, the NBA season so this is serious. NBA player has it. Tom Hanks wife has it now too.

Last edited:

DavidD

its a over hyped thing - unless you are over 80 or immuno compromised its nothing to seriously wory about. we are probbably all going to get it, much like the flu, and 99% of us will get better
What will happen to the 3,270,000 of us (1% of population) who don't get better? Probably not something to blatantly disregard...

rherrell

What will happen to the 3,270,000 of us (1% of population) who don't get better? Probably not something to blatantly disregard...
1% of the patients who GET the virus die, NOT 1% of the U.S. population. Your numbers assume ALL of the U.S. population will get the virus which is just wrong.

MPVic

We have an organization that sponsors tours for veterans to Washington DC (Honor Flight). They usually have around four flights a year and are always seeking volunteers to act as chaperones for the veterans. The chaperones are required to pay their own airfare to DC. Many people do sign up and the waiting list to be selected last years. Being a veteran myself I leapt at the chance and last week finally received an email that I was selected for a trip on April15th. Unfortunately, today I received an email that the flight had been cancelled due to concerns from the Corona virus. While I am very disappointed I recognize it was the right thing to do. This virus can be deadly for our seniors and many of these veterans are from WWII. Hopefully this pandemic doesn't last years and I get selected for another flight in the future.

Seven
Thank you for your service.

jttheclockman

its a over hyped thing - unless you are over 80 or immuno compromised its nothing to seriously wory about. we are probbably all going to get it, much like the flu, and 99% of us will get better
It is not the fact of weather you get it or not it is the disruption it is causing and the economy is suffering from it. Will we recover, in time we will but with everything that is happening there is no right answers. Just be vigilant and keep washing hands and protecting yourself as much as you can. Evidently this virus has been around for many years but it is the strain that is causing the problem. If everyone keeps saying it is much like the flu, then look at those number of deaths. Add this to that and that is a statement. There is a reason of concern for sure. It will have an effect on all of us in one way or other and that is fact.

It is not the fact of weather you get it or not it is the disruption it is causing and the economy is suffering from it. Will we recover, in time we will but with everything that is happening there is no right answers. Just be vigilant and keep washing hands and protecting yourself as much as you can. Evidently this virus has been around for many years but it is the strain that is causing the problem. If everyone keeps saying it is much like the flu, then look at those number of deaths. Add this to that and that is a statement. There is a reason of concern for sure. It will have an effect on all of us in one way or other and that is fact.

Here's a couple of websites that might help. Lots of good, accurate information you might find interesting.

Dehn0045

The novel coronavirus COVID-19 is without a doubt much much worse than the seasonal flu. According to the data published on the CDC website the mortality rate for the flu in the US is somewhere between 0.04% and 0.15%. The best data that we have available right now for COVID-19 is a crude mortality ratio of 0.77% (this is according to data out of South Korea where testing is most widely available at the moment). Note that the crude mortality ratio is simply the number of fatalities divided by the number of positive tests. While the ratio is probably a false-high because not everyone is being tested (even though testing is pretty widely available in South Korea), you also must consider that only a small fraction of the total cases are listed as completely recovered (333 out of 7869)-- it is likely that some of the existing cases will turn into fatalities. Also note that access to treatments is a major factor in survivability, if hospitals are over-run then mortality rates will rise. Also, current estimates suggest that COVID-19 spreads about as much or as easily as the seasonal Flu. So while the information regarding the seasonal flu is informative, they are two very different animals. If we do nothing to stop or slow the spread of COVID-19 we will expect on the order of 10X the number of deaths as a normal flu season (so somewhere around 200,000 to 520,000) -- obviously it could be more or less, but this is the most reasonable estimate that I have heard. This is in the US and other nations with the best access to medical care. The issue is worldwide and many places will likely fare much worse. Fear and panic in this situation are not helpful, but an honest understanding of what we should expect will create an appropriate level of concern. We also need not be surprised when we start seeing unusual things happening. Be prepared to stay home for extended periods of time. Be prepared to see government imposed social distancing (restrictions on travel, gatherings, school closings, etc). Be prepared to see temporary hospitals in places like arenas, stadiums, school gymnasiums, etc. Be mindful of the risk that this disease poses to vulnerable populations - nursing homes, elderly, those with existing conditions. Don't be surprised if this is with us for while, 6 months or more (maybe several waves over the next few years). An ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure.

Much of this is my opinions, so you can do with them what you want. I'll do my best to avoid conversations like this on IAP, we are all getting a steady dose of COVID-19 through other channels. I have resisted a post like this over the past couple of weeks, but it is becoming more clear that this is problem is serious and will need everyone's active involvement to fight back, so I thought it was appropriate to share my thoughts with a group of people that I care about.

Last edited:
The novel coronavirus COVID-19 is without a doubt much much worse than the seasonal flu. According to the data published on the CDC website the mortality rate for the flu in the US is somewhere between 0.04% and 0.15%. The best data that we have available right now for COVID-19 is a crude mortality ratio of 0.77% (this is according to data out of South Korea where testing is most widely available at the moment). Note that the crude mortality ratio is simply the number of fatalities divided by the number of positive tests. While the ratio is probably a false-high because not everyone is being tested (even though testing is pretty widely available in South Korea), you also must consider that only a small fraction of the total cases are listed as completely recovered (333 out of 7869)-- it is likely that some of the existing cases will turn into fatalities. Also note that access to treatments is a major factor in survivability, if hospitals are over-run then mortality rates will rise. Also, current estimates suggest that COVID-19 spreads about as much or as easily as the seasonal Flu. So while the information regarding the seasonal flu is informative, they are two very different animals. If we do nothing to stop or slow the spread of COVID-19 we will expect on the order of 10X the number of deaths as a normal flu season (so somewhere around 200,000 to 520,000) -- obviously it could be more or less, but this is the most reasonable estimate that I have heard. This is in the US and other nations with the best access to medical care. The issue is worldwide and many places will likely fare much worse. Fear and panic in this situation are not helpful, but an honest understanding of what we should expect will create an appropriate level of concern. We also need not be surprised when we start seeing unusual things happening. Be prepared to stay home for extended periods of time. Be prepared to see government imposed social distancing (restrictions on travel, gatherings, school closings, etc). Be prepared to see temporary hospitals in places like arenas, stadiums, school gymnasiums, etc. Be mindful of the risk that this disease poses to vulnerable populations - nursing homes, elderly, those with existing conditions. Don't be surprised if this is with us for while, 6 months or more (maybe several waves over the next few years). An ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure.

Much of this is my opinions, so you can do with them what you want. I'll do my best to avoid conversations like this on IAP, we are all getting a steady dose of COVID-19 through other channels. I have resisted a post like this over the past couple of weeks, but it is becoming more clear that this is problem is serious and will need everyone's active involvement to fight back, so I thought it was appropriate to share my thoughts with a group of people that I care about.

Hey Sam, don't stop posting. We might have different opinions but I enjoy knowing as "much" about something as I can. My post to direct other members to both websites as a way to better understand the COVID-19 virus. The only comparison I've heard from any of the talking heads is to the annual flu bug. I thought this would be a better comparative study, obviously it wasn't. And thanks for sharing!

tomas

I just received an email from HQ letting me know that my church has suspended all meetings worldwide until further notice due to COVID-19.

Tomas

They've done the same with a couple of events in Montana. There's supposed to be one reported case in Montana but it's actually a lady who has been out of state since November visiting family on the east coast. So it doesn't really count, per se, but they have cancelled the annual "Made in Montana" show this weekend and I also got a note that the AAW meeting in Washington state has been postponed. Our granddaughter in college just got wind that Montana Tech is going to shut down and do on-line classes. She's not happy about it but I am. Better to be safe than sorry and I'm glad to see the steps our Govt. is taking to slow this thing down.

keithbyrd

I think Covid 19 is a real health issue but because it is also a political football it is both an economic and healthcare nightmare. Eliminate the political football and a whole bunch of this goes away!

ramaroodle

No offense, but are you an immunologist or work for the CDC? The doctor from China who first raised the alarm was in his mid 40's when he died. I live near and and work in Kirkland, WA, the "epicenter" of the US outbreak (a suburb of Seattle). My wife is an administrative nurse in the school district and they are closing for a month starting Monday. It is no joke here and I know someone who had died from it. She was not 80.

I'm sorry. I genuinely didn't mean to sound short or rude but my office window looks out on Microsoft headquarters. That building is mostly unoccupied right now. When lay people shoot from the hip with words like hype and 99% I have to react. 1% of 300M people is 3M people and that's just here in the US. The WHO has declared this a pandemic. People here have stopped shaking hands and half of our staff are not at work today and rush hour traffic is about half of what it normally is. There is no treatment or vaccine for this unlike the flu. We are not panicking but we are taking it seriously. It's not about the disease so much as it is about stopping the spread.

Again, sorry if I sounded rude.

49eY0ckm.jpg

Last edited:

pshrynk

Taking steps to avoid spread of the virus significantly blunts the acute spread of the virus. The curve flattens out and the peak comes much slower. Yeah, kids aren't all that affected by the virus, but they go home to grandparents who might be. It sucks that the March Madness is cancelled. It sucks that the MLB season is postponed. It sucks that trips are cancelled by the corporate HQ. It's extremely weird that TP is scarce because of a respiratory virus. But it will save literally millions of lives that we do this. Well, the TP thing won't but the rest will.

henry1164

I am a volunteer for Honor Flight Rochester (NY). The leadership just posted that the planned flights for April and May have been postponed. This was after rescheduling the March flight to September (tentatively)!

Top Bottom