Curly Maple - 2 Executives and an EDC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KateHarrow

KateHarrow

There's a lot to be said for beautiful wood on an elegant pen kit and I think curly maple on an executive might just be that exact combination. This is all salvaged firewood that was gifted to me by my college mentor so I made him a few pens as a thank you. I hope he likes them.
61B39598-541A-408E-9579-6AB29FC2805E.jpeg
F2BFD371-E5B2-49C8-9403-C4B144163A3F.jpeg

003CF0CF-0869-4EE5-A7C5-010AA55EE8D1.jpeg
ED3BAC4F-06BF-4A2F-B4EE-AD00AEF3DC57.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love to attempt new segmenting designs for the challenge...
I admire others efforts for complex castings...
Watch parts blanks are awesome...

BUT, the simplicity of a beautiful wood blank (Burl or otherwise) still thrills me.
I got interested in this hobby (for me it's a hobby) due to being gifted a wooden 'Cross' brand pencil in High School... (47 years ago 😲). I believe it was a simple Walnut wood, but I cherished it.

Your pens displayed above are wonderful and remind me of why I love this hobby! I also have found 'treasures' in my firewood stack - Very well done. 👏👏👏

KateHarrow

I love to attempt new segmenting designs for the challenge...
I admire others efforts for complex castings...
Watch parts blanks are awesome...

BUT, the simplicity of a beautiful wood blank (Burl or otherwise) still thrills me.
I got interested in this hobby (for me it's a hobby) due to being gifted a wooden 'Cross' brand pencil in High School... (47 years ago 😲). I believe it was a simple Walnut wood, but I cherished it.

Your pens displayed above are wonderful and remind me of why I love this hobby! I also have found 'treasures' in my firewood stack - Very well done. 👏👏👏
Thank you so much, Mark, and I agree with your sentiments exactly. I challenge myself all the time. I'm always attempting to turn the new crazy "thing." And then there's just really beautiful hardwoods. Sometimes we can't do better than Mother Nature.

sorcerertd

They look great. Simply stated works well. Executives don't get enough love around here. I really like that darker squiggly figure on the EDC. Mother nature does amazing things, it's just up to us to bring out the beauty.

KateHarrow

They look great. Simply stated works well. Executives don't get enough love around here. I really like that darker squiggly figure on the EDC. Mother nature does amazing things, it's just up to us to bring out the beauty.
I love that dark line too. It's not quite spalting but it's certainly a dark line for maple. I thought the window clip drew nice attention to it which is why I placed it that way. And because the end user, my mentor, is a notorious pocket-pen guy so I figured you'd see that bit poking out of his shirt pocket

And agreed on the executives! They might be the best quality "value kit" on the market

KMCloonan

I still regularly use Executive kits. I like the style. I was given an original Parker model of that pen (in a fancy box) for a significant launch we had at work back in the mid '90s - I still have it.

I really like your "simple" maple pens with a flawless finish. Like Mark said - it takes us back to when we first got into pen making.

Top Bottom