CSUSA AMERICANA DUO QUESTION

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

I have been put in a position with a customer who is insisting on the
Americana Duo two color pen from CSUSA. I appreciate all who helped me locate the pen the customer wanted.

My question is this...there are no instructions available on the CSUSA website for this pen specifically. I am presuming that it is
similar to the Americana Pen but there has to be differences because it takes two different drill bits than the regular Americana, different tubes, and it has a different transmission that holds two "mini Cross" refills.

Any information any one has would be greatly appreciated. Nils if you are reading this I'd appreciate input from you.

Does anyone know how length sensitive the kit is?

Are there any quirks I should know about?

Anyone have any suggestions for a coating for the nib that will make the finish more lasting? 3 1/2 on Nils Scale is not encouraging when your reputation is on the line.

I wouldn't make this pen routinely but I have an established customer who has a special need. I hate to be an aggravator but I really need some help here. Gotta order the parts from the West Coast, ship the finished product to Japan and of course we are working with a deadline. So if I need to order 5 kits to get one pen I really need to know...

Thanks
Pipes

PS Nils anyone who would be using this pen would be someone like a teacher or someone in the workplace setting who will be using it heavily and only having it available in the 10KT is really a downside. A pen intended for heavy use should be available in the more durable finishes...at least chrome.

http://affordablepipes.com/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pipes

I have called CSUSA and ordered the kits and they now know that the
instructions aren't posted as with other kits. I was assured they
would include instructions with my order which I presumed they would.

My REAL concern is if anyone has built this kit and knows of any
quirks or things I should know.

Thanks for your help
Pipes

reed43

If I remember right this kit is very sensitive to tube length. Be careful with the barrel trimmer.

wayneis

I've made several of these and have absolutely no problems. Very easy kit to make, pretty easy just B to B. This is an interesting pen though, I do like it but wish that someone would make one a little more fancy.

Wayne

Pipes

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />I've made several of these and have absolutely no problems. Very easy kit to make, pretty easy just B to B. This is an interesting pen though, I do like it but wish that someone would make one a little more fancy.

Wayne

Is there a tenon to cut ?? I see in the reg pen of this style its showing a tenon ????

I wish they would add a more durable plating as these are mostly made for folks like teachers ! And workers that use them hard 10K is just NOT strong enough IMHO ! Chrome would be great and Ti Gold ..I hate to sell this plating ! I told the cust UP FRONT thou about the wear problem ! that could happen and IMO would ![V]

wayneis

I can't swear to it but I do not believe that a tenon is required on this pen. I would have to go down to my shop and check for sure. One thing to think about regarding the 10K is having someone powder coat it for you, just do a clear coat. We have several individuals who have access to the set ups for that and then you would have a very good stabil finish. In fact I have a project in mind that requires powder coating so I'll be looking for that someone myself.

Wayne

Pipes

I would BUY the stuff needed to powder coat IF I knew what it took ! and HOW to do it ! I may have to look into this ! But this pen has to go out by the end a next week so I doubt I have time to send it to anyone ! And I don't lnow anyone here In Mchigan that a do it !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom