Crochet Hooks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike8850

I have been getting requests for crochet hook handles and saw that Pen State carries a handle for their interchangeable hooks.
I realize that there are a lot of different hook sizes but are all the shank sizes the same?
Thanks for any help,
Mike

monophoto

I've made a few knitting needles and crochet hooks for my wife, but I'm certainly no expert. However, my understanding is that the 'size' of a crochet hook is determined by the physical diameter of the shaft next to the hook.

In looking at the PSI kit, it appears that there is a metal escutcheon at the base of the crochet hook shaft, beyond which there is a shank that fits into the receiver that is installed inside the handle. So I would expect that while the size of the shafts will vary between hooks, the size of the shank will be the same for all so that they all will fit into that one handle.

Note that I'm trying to carefully differentiate between the shaft of the crochet hook that determines the size, and therefore the relative coarseness of the crochet knots, and the shank which is the portion that is held in the handle.

My mother and grandmother both did a lot of needlework, crocheting in particular, so they had lots of hooks to work with. (Needleworkers are almost as bad as woodturners when it comes to having a tool addiction!) But my observation was that each of their crochet hooks was a standalone tool. I also look at the JoAnn Fabrics site - they sell lots of crochet hooks, but they all seem to be standalone tools rather than handles with interchangeable hooks.

That leads me to surmise that this idea of a handle with interchangeable hooks is something that is unique to PSI, when then says that if you could find a supplier with a similar 'kit' approach to crochet hooks, it is likely that the shank diameter would be different.

Top Bottom