Critique and learning please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from floatslow

floatslow

Hello turners. This is my first go at cellulose acetate and loved it. M13x0.8T threads M10x1 for sections cap and body finial. What I am struggling with is the clip. I cut a small notch with a dremel coming to the cap main section which is about 15mm. Clips ID is 10mm. I then counter bore. I don't think my exact process is relevant because I would love critiques so I can develop a new process

(I was a little extra creative with the proper matching clip - Beaufort Ink - so chrome will do for now)

Thank you
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wimkluck

I like the shape and clip of this pen. The colour is not my taste. With this combination it is inevitable to hide the inside treaths. The polish is not the best. Good trail and room to improve.

sorcerertd

I like the size and shape. Not having made any kitless pens yet, I cannot comment on technique. The thing that stands out to me is the rough finish. Getting rid of those radial scratches would make a world of difference in the end result. Maybe you are just working on the techniques and not worrying about that right now, though.

There are ways to hide the band on the clip but I say if you can't hide it, make it a feature. You have to make sure the final and the cap body come down tight on the ring. I try to make the post big enough so you have to thread the clip on to the final and make a relief cut at the top for the clip to ride in. A good way to make sure the profile on the final and the pen cap match is to put a spacer in the thickness of the clip ring and thread it on and polish it the same time you do the cap. That is a difficult materiel to work with, don't be in a hurry with it and enjoy the process.

Top Bottom