Creating postable closed end pen from kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dthayer

I have a Tycoon Closed End Pen kit from PSI (#PKTYCXXX). I would like to make it so that the cap is postable with threading (not just a push on - client wants to make sure he doesn't lose it). What is the best way to determine the thread size that I would need so that I can get the correct die for cutting threads in the end of the lower barrel.

bmachin

Dirk,

This is obviously not a standard 60 degree "V" thread, so even if the diameter and pitch are standard your chances of finding a threading die are essentially nil I believe. If you have a thread gauge (you may need both imperial and metric) you can probably determine the thread pitch accurately enough to single point the thread you need on a metal lathe by making a custom square ended tool. Keystock is cheap and would work well. This assumes that you can configure the proper gearing on the lathe.

Another possibility is to cannibalize the barrel thread component from a standard Tycoon. Threads may or may not be the same.

Finally, you could try to convince your client that he doesn't need the threads. Pelikan doesn't use them.

Happy days,
Bill

dthayer

Dirk,

This is obviously not a standard 60 degree "V" thread, so even if the diameter and pitch are standard your chances of finding a threading die are essentially nil I believe. If you have a thread gauge (you may need both imperial and metric) you can probably determine the thread pitch accurately enough to single point the thread you need on a metal lathe by making a custom square ended tool. Keystock is cheap and would work well. This assumes that you can configure the proper gearing on the lathe.

Another possibility is to cannibalize the barrel thread component from a standard Tycoon. Threads may or may not be the same.

Finally, you could try to convince your client that he doesn't need the threads. Pelikan doesn't use them.

Happy days,
Bill
Thanks much, Bill! I like the idea of trying to cannibalize a standard Tycoon.

Top Bottom