Crazy fiber for fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Had a chance to turn a pen!! This crazy fiber is pretty cool stuff, turns easily, I enhanced the shine with a Glu-Boost finish-
What do you think? Lots more to come!!
crazy fiber adv3.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Great looking pen Ed! The blank colors work great with the plating! I've turned a few of those crazy fibers. I was surprised at how light weighted they are and easy to turn.

jrista

Glad you had a chance to turn something, Ed!

I've seen this crazy fiber stuff in your emails. I'm curious, what exactly is it?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The supplier tells me Crazy Fiber is a micarta. But my understanding of micarta is that it is paper with a resin.
I've turned a lot of resin, acrylic and other plastics but this is a unique feel--easy to turn, suggest a glu-boost finish.
Without that, it has a satin finish look.

As the name states, it's claim to fame is the crazy patterns in unique color combinations.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We are cutting a lot of pen blanks right now (we buy them in blocks 2-3 inches deep and about a foot square). Some of the crazy fiber had exposed edges so I could see a fabric (looks like cotton tee shirt). This would confirm the assertion that this is a micarta, based on the following definition from "Definitions.net":

1. Micarta
    Micarta is a brand name for composites of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic. It was originally used in electrical and decorative applications. Micarta was developed by George Westinghouse at least as early as 1910 using phenolic resins invented by Leo Baekeland. These resins were used to impregnate paper and cotton fabric which were cured under pressure and high temperature to produce laminates. In later years this manufacturing method included the use of fiberglass fabric and other resin types were also used. Today Micarta high pressure industrial laminates are produced with a wide variety of resins and fibers. The term has been used generically for most resin impregnated fibre compounds. Common uses of modern high pressure laminates are as electrical insulators, printed circuit board substrates, and knife handles.

Gregf

We are cutting a lot of pen blanks right now (we buy them in blocks 2-3 inches deep and about a foot square). Some of the crazy fiber had exposed edges so I could see a fabric (looks like cotton tee shirt). This would confirm the assertion that this is a micarta, based on the following definition from "Definitions.net":

I've been wondering what the blanks look like before being cut up. Curious on how the pattern achieved. No intention of copying, just like to know how things are done.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've been wondering what the blanks look like before being cut up. Curious on how the pattern achieved. No intention of copying, just like to know how things are done.
We can make this a "show & tell" at your first Milwaukee meeting!!!

Top Bottom