Crappy lathe question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ftblbilz1988

Hey guys, this is a long story, but there is a plea for help at the end, so bear with me. I have been making pens with a Jet Mini Lathe for the last couple years at my high school's shop, and I recently came across a brand new full size lathe that I couldnt resist buying since it was only 70 dollars. I then went and bought all of the things I needed to turn a pen, because that is basically all I do with a lathe. When I got home to set everything up, I realized that the head stock of the lathe is 3/4" outside threaded, without a hollow center, so I can't fit a mandrel on it. However, the tail stock is put in the same way as the motor-driven end of the Jet Mini Lathe, and I have a live center in there. I have tried various jigs and setups that I created, but I can't seem to find anything that works. If anyone can help, please let me know. Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=BEALLCCKIT&Category_Code=GRBU
Consider getting a collet chuck for your headstock as one option. You can hold the mandrel in a 1/4 collet (for an A mandrel that is).

Randy_

PSI makes a mandrel for about $18 that will screw on to a spindle with a 3/4" x 16 tpi thread. Here is a link: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/mand.html

Not sure I would invest in a Beall Collet system?? It will cost you nearly twice as much as you paid for the lathe and when you buy another lathe....which you surely will.....it may not fit the new lathe or at least not withous an adapter of some sort.

fuzzydog

PSI also makes a 8tpi version. My lathe used the 16 tpi but the quality was so poor that I sent it back 3 times (the last to the CEO) and told him if they can't do any better than that keep it. I was able to include pictures that proved the mandrel was bent .058 inches off center. They finally got a straight (semi) mandrel to me and I've used it every since. Just be ready to call them back with problems and send the mandrel back.
David
Juneau, AK

ftblbilz1988

ok that other mandrel is a good idea, but I got all of my pen kits and bushings and stuff from Rockler, and it says that it works with all PSI kits. Would mine still work on it?

JimGo

I had a lathe similar to the one you describe, and I know several of our members use one too. The PSI mandrel isn't bad, and should work with most kits, except those requiring the Berea "B" mandrel. What I'd suggest is searching the forums, including the archives; someone posted the different mandrel diameters, and that should help you figure out whether it will work. Another suggestion - order a replacement for the mandrel itself (i.e. the rod) if you can - you can always try taking some sandpaper to the mandrel if it's a bit oversized.

However, for the headache and frustration you'll go through with all of this, I agree with the others - get a different lathe. You can get a PSI TurnCrafter Pro for about $150, and you can occasionally get some great deals on similar lathes with even better reputations from Amazon.com (including free shipping). I have the PSI and am pleased with it, though after a little over a year of having it I wish I had waited 'till the new, variable speed lathe came out. I may be "upgrading" soon.

woodbutcher

What Randy said. you may be able to use the lathe you now have for something else. I have a screw on mandrel that after one use I put in a drawer. I'd send it to you but it will just add to your frustration level. I want nothing to do with that. Hope this helps,
Jim

Randy_

On 5/20/06, admin@penturners.org <admin@penturners.org> wrote:
Here is a new post in that topic from 'ftblbilz1988'

ok that other mandrel is a good idea, but I got all of my pen kits and bushings and stuff from Rockler, and it says that it works with all PSI kits. Would mine still work on it?

The PSI mandrels are the smallest of the mandrels available(by just a few thousandths) so you should have no trouble with other "A" (7 mm)kits. If you want to do any of the kits that require the "B" mandrel, buy them from HUT and get their bushings. They have their own bushings that allow "B" kits to be turned on an "A" mandrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom