craftex cx814 lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lathe monkey

has anyone seen the new craftex cx814 lathe from busy bee?. I"m starting to look for a new lathe, and have my eyes set on maybe a rikon 7.-150vs,
then I saw the 814 on line, looks pretty good, a bit cheaper, and a free bed extension.
anyone have any thoughts ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Don't know anything about the lathe. Went and checked their website out and got a little chuckle about their pricing.
2021-03-04_154908.jpg

Darrin

This appears to be like the ShopFox Jet knock off.
I'd steer clear from brands you don't know or heard of and go with ones you know that are tried and true.

darrin1200

The Craftex brand is not a bad brand. From much that I have heard, I would put them on par with Grizzley in the States. If budget is not an issue, I would point you at a Oneway1224 in a heart beat.

The CX814 looks like it is easily equal to the Rikon. The add on extension is a nice add on. If you are just looking to get a small lathe to start your introduction to pen making, and budget is a concern, you might consider the King 1218V. It is a couple of hundred cheaper. It's available at Marks Machinery in the west end of Kanata.
I helped another guy in Ottawa get started in pens recently @MJS613 , and he went with the King. So far he's happy with it. His final decision was based on price, because of all the extras that you will need.

If the budget allowed, I would likely go for the Craftex because of its larger capacity. The bed extension is nice, but its to bad you couldn't get $200 in tooling instead.

Top Bottom