Craft Knife Hardware Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've finished another batch of Craft Knife Hardware Kits. They're like an x-acto knife, but NICE! Design and make your own handle - the possibilities are endless.

These are made entirely by me from scratch in my basement shop, mostly on a little Unimat DB200 lathe/mill. To my knowledge there is nobody else making a kit like this.

Cost is $18-$25 per kit with multiple blades, covers, instructions, and support.

Info and purchase links at PersonMakeObject.com

Comment or message me if you have any questions!

Thank you and Turn On!
-kevin

IMG_20210419_102654_814 (2).jpg

Photo_1614873541296.jpg

IMG_20201214_212537_908_2 (3).jpg

Photo_1614872824391 (1).jpg

blades_square (1).jpg

IMG_20210619_141232_223.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bats

I found the site a little ambiguous (this pic, in particular) - does the 10mm version fit blades for the Xacto #1, or is the difference just in the surrounding ferrule?

(I was looking at making one as a gift for someone, but he tends to stick to #11 blades)

I found the site a little ambiguous (this pic, in particular) - does the 10mm version fit blades for the Xacto #1, or is the difference just in the surrounding ferrule?

(I was looking at making one as a gift for someone, but he tends to stick to #11 blades)

Sorry for the ambiguity @Bats. The inner piece of the assembled hardware is identical on all three ferrule options. The hardware effectively holds Swann-Morton 01-04 craft blades and the larger x-acto style blades that fit in the #2 or B handle. These do not effectively hold the smaller x-acto #11 or similar blades.

Cheers!
-kevin

blades_square (1).jpg

Bats

Damn. And here I thought I'd finally found a gift for a rapidly onrushing birthday. Maybe I'll just have to convince him that his #11s are clearly inadequate and that he really, really wants to use something heavier. Or maybe I'll just have to get one and keep it for myself (I use both styles - although I do like the availability of dirt cheap #11s).

Have you ever considered making a #1 version? Or are there mechanical issues that get in the way?

Damn. And here I thought I'd finally found a gift for a rapidly onrushing birthday. Maybe I'll just have to convince him that his #11s are clearly inadequate and that he really, really wants to use something heavier. Or maybe I'll just have to get one and keep it for myself (I use both styles - although I do like the availability of dirt cheap #11s).

Have you ever considered making a #1 version? Or are there mechanical issues that get in the way?
I see no reason I couldn't scale down the design to work with #11 blades. I have thought of doing this, but honestly am selling the current ones as fast as I want to be making them. I have considered outsourcing some of the production to increase volume, but that isn't really what I want to be doing either. The original intent was only hold the Swann-Morton Blades which are favored for marking knives by a number of influential woodworkers (Paul Sellers, Jon Katz-Moses, Matt Estlea), adapting the design a bit to work with x-acto B blades was basically an afterthought and a happy accident.

That said, I have no doubt that anybody would love to receive a beautifully designed and crafted knife handle from you, even if they had to try #2 and other blades rather than their usual #11's.

Cheers!
-kevin

Top Bottom