Course question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

secureideas

Hi all,

I am interested in learning to turn bowls. I have been making pens for a couple years now and loving it.

Has anyone taken the Woodcraft course on beginning bowl turning? I know that I can just figure it out or watch a bunch of youtube (I have <grin>) but I am hoping the feedback and two way communication will help me get the skill more clearly.

Thanks
Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I didn't take their course, but they weee having a "turn a bowl for charity" event a few years ago, so I went there to observe other turners making a bowl. Talked to a few turners & the WC guys supervising the event, and learned enough to get started. I also watch a log of YouTube videos.

Mortalis

I, like you, turned pens for a couple years and started to get bored with it and wanted to do something a bit more challenging. Now, now, all you pen only guys, I know just turning pens is not all there is to pen turning so dont get your knickers in a twist.
Anyway, I've never been to a demo (watched a few though) and never been to a workshop but, I've watched a bunch of videos by the bowl turners that would be considered the top of the hill guys and really didnt get much technique or technical reasoning why you do some things and why/when you should do some others. Just because your great at what you do doesnt make you a great teacher, especially with video.
I didnt start to really understand the whys until I started watching Kent from Turn A Wood Bowl. He's a great teacher via video.
I would highly recommend checking his videos out if you haven't already.

Charlie_W

A class or mentoring session is the best learning tool for moving to bowls. Learning how to sharpen for different bowl gouge bevel angles, swept back wings, and where you would use which gouge/bevel and grind is invaluable.
Having a pro over your shoulder to show you how to slightly adjust your chisel lift, rotation, etc is key.

howsitwork

I can honestly say getting lessons , hands on lessons , from a master turner is worth the time and effort. Yes you can learn the hard way via video links and books but that personal focus makes it faster and more fun.

It all depends on how you value your time. I went to a lot of demos first and found a tutor who I could relate to and respected as then I truly LISTENED and followed what he told me.

Harry Middleton inspired me then and I believe is still with us, although retired. I owe him a debit of thanks

its_virgil

Join a woodturning club. There are 21 in Florida and one of them is in Jacksonville. ;) https://www.jaxturners.org

Here is a link to a search for Florida Clubs. Enter Florida in the state drop down.

Spend the $$ on club dues and learn from a group of local turners. Larger clubs often have a "shop day" in addition to the regular meeting. Woodturning clubs are an excellent place to learn.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I mostly turn bowls and pepper mills now after turning pens for about 5 years.... I'm totally self taught, a lot of trial and error and Youtube videos.... still watch the videos often... pretty much the most interesting thing I find on Youtube... you are right about a lot of the turners... they may have good technique, but they don't offer a lot of teaching on the videos.... mostly done to show off their work. I generally watch the beginning then skip to the end to see finished product.... and some of the videos are just redundant...

I watched one that the guys was doing a crushgrind pepper mill.... he took 7 videos to show how he did the mill.... I've gotten my technique down to where I can turn a pepper mill (crush grind) in about 45 minutes from blank to a ready to finish mill.... I usually turn them in batches so I will have 6 or 7 on my finish rack, the finishing part takes me a few days as I put multiple coats of finish on them and let them sit overnight between coats.... adding the inserts takes about 15 minutes per mill as I let the epoxy set.

greenacres2

Without question, videos helped a lot, but a good mentor or instructor is invaluable, especially in a very small group or one-on-one. I'm not talking a "celebrity", but just a solid turner. If i watch a video and make a mistake--correcting it is mostly guess-work. In-person guidance can see where my feet are, how i turn my body, tool presentation and so on. Then i can stand right there and start building the muscle memory. Doesn't eliminate all the trial & error, and i still need to put in the practice time--but live feedback has been a great help for me.
There's a bunch of ways to learn--but the one that works for you is the best one for you.
earl

Top Bottom