Cost comparison home made vs. store bought

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

what is the cost comparison like for casting your own blanks compared to buying store bought?

I really don't think I have anything to offer as far as creativity in casting the blanks that I couldn't get at the store or online. I am interested in trying to cast, but if there is no real cost saving or as in many hobbies costs more to do it yourself, I'll probably just stick with store bought.

Any info would be great. Thanks!

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

How about the 'satisfaction' of creating something that is uniquely yours. Surely that must have value? As in most hobbies it's not about how much money you can save but as much as how enjoyable the craft is.JMO

-Peter-[:)]

btboone

The learning curve and time involved changes the equation a bit also. For me, the extra time and mediocre results compared to the excellent acrylics available pushes it out of the envelope of being a viable alternative. The effect is minimized if you have more time available.

seht

well if I was going to do snake skins that would be one thing, but I barely have enough time to turn the pens I want to do. So I don't see myself doing that. I wouldn't mind taking a couple days out of my turning schedule to make a bunch of blanks, but I find that the acrylic blanks out there are very attractive, and I don't think I can improve on them. So for me it's all about what it's going to cost me.

Does anyone have a breakdown on what the blanks cost them to make?

Thanks

Scott

bob393

I never saw a cost breakdown but I bet if you count equipment, disposables, and time you need to cast one heck of a lot of blanks to break even, not even starting to save money. The only reason I can think of is to create one of a kind or original designs, like the pipe cleaner blanks I saw!

darbytee

You can figure it like this:
a gallon of resin plus catalyst- $40 shipped
resin dye in a 1/2 oz bottle (plenty)- $2 per color plus shipping
ice cube mold from wal-mart- about $5

I can usually get about 100 pairs of blanks (a pair of blanks does one pen) out of a gallon of resin. Woodcraft sells my blanks in their penturning section and I enjoy giving them away to friends. Also, the flexibility of being able to experiment is worth a lot to me. I'll be glad to post the vendors I use if you're interested. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jerryconn

Its-virgil (Don Ward) did a cost per blank break down a couple or three months ago. I did a quick search but was unable to find it quickly. I think it was part of a discussion on making snakeskin blanks. You may want to give it a try and see if you can find it. It is fairly inexpensive and you can make something that you cannot find elsewhere.

seht

I am interested in doing it, but right now my funds won't allow me to take on another aspect of the hobby unless it's cost effective.
Thanks for the offer of posting your supplies, yes I would like to see that.

Originally posted by darbytee
<br />You can figure it like this:
a gallon of resin plus catalyst- $40 shipped
resin dye in a 1/2 oz bottle (plenty)- $2 per color plus shipping
ice cube mold from wal-mart- about $5

I can usually get about 100 pairs of blanks (a pair of blanks does one pen) out of a gallon of resin. Woodcraft sells my blanks in their penturning section and I enjoy giving them away to friends. Also, the flexibility of being able to experiment is worth a lot to me. I'll be glad to post the vendors I use if you're interested. Good luck with whatever you decide.

seht

found it thanks!

Huzzah,

I'm not Skye but I'll answer your question. I get polyester resin from http://www.mrfiberglass.com For this discussion I will use the word "blank" to be one tube cast in resin.
Here is what I use:

Silmar 41 Clear Casting Polyester Resin

Used for thick castings that need to be water clear. Not to be used in laminating. The amount of curing agent is critical depending on mass of the casting and should be determined with experimentation.

Size Item # Price
1 Quart SM41025 $11.96
1 Gallon SM41100 $30.94
5 Gallons SM41500 $123.76

I cast 16 ounces of resin per cast and that will do 9 blanks. So,
(128 oz/gal) / (16 ounces/cast) = (8 casts/gal). Each cast will do 9 blanks so, (9 blanks/cast) x (8 casts/gal) = (72 blanks/gal)

Then, (30.94 $$/gal) / (72 blanks/gal) = (.42973 $$/blank) or 43 cents per blank. Some pens use two blanks and some just one. Per pen price can be calculated.

Shipping to my address adds another $7 or so to the price of 1 gallon including catalyst, so that adds another $.10 per blank or $.20 per pen (for a two blank pen).

I had been purchasing it for $28.15 per gallon but I just ordered more and noticed he has gone up to $30.94.

None of these figures include dyes, colorants, or luster powders. The colorants add very little to the price of each cast. Skins are sometimes free and sometimes I buy them and the price of a two blank snake skin set is well under $3 per pen which is why I've worked so hard to perfect the making of snake skin blanks.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

darbytee

seht, It looks like you have it all there. I also use mr. fiberglass for my resin. Shipping is just under $10 for a gallon. For the dyes and luster, I've tried douglass & sturgess, mr. fiberglass, and mixol and I personally prefer the douglass & sturgess.

Radman

Originally posted by darbytee
<br /> &lt;SNIP&gt; Woodcraft sells my blanks in their penturning section and I enjoy giving them away to friends. Also, the flexibility of being able to experiment is worth a lot to me. I'll be glad to post the vendors I use if you're interested. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Can I be your friend? You can really enjoy yourself and send one or two my way [;)]
[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom