Cork pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

Has anyone tried making a cork blank? If so what is more suitable as well as interesting: segments from a roll, a rectangular solid piece or simple bottle corks? I want to make a pen and keep the weight minimal. Is ca finish the only option or i can also use oil finishes? Thanks in advance for any advice, cheers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I've made a few, two different ways. One was a very thin layer clear cast on the tube. It keep the appearance but you don't feel cork. The second was from bottle corks. I glued 2 together and drilled very carefully to epoxy the tube. I had to sand it to shape so it wouldn't break apart. I left it natural because the recipient wanted to few the cork. It darkened from use and being touched. I've never applied a CA finish to cork so I'm not sure how well it will hold up. CDD3A4F9-5E88-4A5F-835F-FF9BEF0E21BB.jpegDFF2D505-B4BE-49A9-B6F0-E8338F91E0A0.jpeg

Here's the original thread on how I did it..

RGVPens

I've made a few, two different ways. One was a very thin layer clear cast on the tube. It keep the appearance but you don't feel cork. The second was from bottle corks. I glued 2 together and drilled very carefully to epoxy the tube. I had to sand it to shape so it wouldn't break apart. I left it natural because the recipient wanted to few the cork. It darkened from use and being touched. I've never applied a CA finish to cork so I'm not sure how well it will hold up. View attachment 333916View attachment 333917

LOL Love it John! Too bad there's not a way to preserve the writing/stamp on the cork. I could sell a ton of them with the people's favorite brand of wine around here...šŸ„“

Maybe I could add that to my list of summer projects.

RGVPens

I have been doing these pill holder key chains for a few years now. The majority I finish with CA, Early on I used an accelerator, which caused cracking. Using thin & med. CA, I haven't had any issues to date.
View attachment 333930
Cool! I could leave the writing on thay way...where do you get the kits? It looks a little shorter than the ones I have.

BarryE

Cool! I could leave the writing on thay way...where do you get the kits? It looks a little shorter than the ones I have.
Exotic Blanks, Craft Supplies has them also. They are shorter, perfect for most wine corks

MedWoodWorx

I've made a few, two different ways. One was a very thin layer clear cast on the tube. It keep the appearance but you don't feel cork. The second was from bottle corks. I glued 2 together and drilled very carefully to epoxy the tube. I had to sand it to shape so it wouldn't break apart. I left it natural because the recipient wanted to few the cork. It darkened from use and being touched. I've never applied a CA finish to cork so I'm not sure how well it will hold up. View attachment 333916View attachment 333917

Hi there, yeah i saw that post, nice work. My main concern is that i want the cork body to look seamless. I suppose if i press it well enough at the glue up i am sorted. I watched a few videos of custom (fishing) pole making, these guys use many corks in a mandrel and make some interesting designs. Cheers

RGVPens

Exotic Blanks, Craft Supplies has them also. They are shorter, perfect for most wine corks
Thanks Barry! I'll try this size...looks like they'll work!

Top Bottom