corian alternative ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Hi Pete. If you look on page 7 of my photo album, you'll see a pen I made with this. It has greenish and greyish in it. And the one on the first page of my album that's white and black may actually be this instead of corian, as I labeled it. I liked using it a lot! It turned very easily. I got mine from a guy on ebay and somehow he layers thin strips of it together, and then twists the whole blank. I don't know how he does that, but I sure like the result! Here's a link to the last set I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=317&item=6060289193

I actually picked what colors to have together and then he did them exactly as I requested, and as you can see, the price was only $1 per blank, plus shipping. I told him I thought he was charging too little, which I still think, b/c it has to involve some time to do all of that. The hardest part for me was drilling but I figured out a way to handle that too. I'd sure recommend trying it. People have really liked the patterns the twisted ones make.

Dolphinjon

I haven't used the material you listed, but I did get a 100 pen blank assortmant like the one the same seller has listed now. A lot of the pieces are Formica and Avonite and I have been quite happy with them. I didn't relize he was now doing those twisty blanks, but I'll have to see about getting some. They look awesome![:D]

Jonathan

DFM

Corian is a name brand for acrylic solid surfacing material manufactured by DuPont. There are other manufacturers and they all have different names, but the material is very similar. You might find some differences in the consistency, texture and density from brand to brand, but I bet they are all about the same.

pete00

thanks for the info everyone.

Angboy
if its the same as corian he probable heated it then twisted it. I've read some folks put corian in ovens heat it, then bend it around shapes. Some bend it over heated pipes, much like steam bending wood.

its on my list of things to try.......pete

redfishsc

Corian, Gibraltar, Staron, they're all pretty much the same stuff.

BTW, I'm a cabinet maker and know of these items ONLY for their intended use. I've seen a few pens made from them, mostly glue-ups to make American-flag motifs and such. What kind of glue do you use for these items to glue them up?

pete00

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />Corian, Gibraltar, Staron, they're all pretty much the same stuff.

BTW, I'm a cabinet maker and know of these items ONLY for their intended use. I've seen a few pens made from them, mostly glue-ups to make American-flag motifs and such. What kind of glue do you use for these items to glue them up?

You can use regular CA glue (thin or thick)

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom