?converting a 240 volt outlet to a 120 volt?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_Seward

I had an electric stove on it's own 240 volt, 30 amp circut. We now have a gas stove. My question is: is it possible to ?spilt? that circuit and use it for power tools and lighting in my basement workshop? Right now we are not using the circuit at all and I sure could use the extra power in the basement! (MORE POWER):D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimQ

An electrician could split it for you. Either by running new wire back to the breaker box, or putting in a sub box in the basement.

JimQ

dubdrvrkev

In a lot of cases you would be better off to run your tools on 240, when they can be configured that way. You may wan tot have an electrician out to do it for you. I would keep the 240 and branch 120 off of it IIRC you just have to drop one hot wire. But I could be mistaken.

Randy_

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />In a lot of cases you would be better off to run your tools on 240, when they can be configured that way. You may wan tot have an electrician out to do it for you. I would keep the 240 and branch 120 off of it IIRC you just have to drop one hot wire. But I could be mistaken.

If it is a pure 240 V circuit, it will have 2 hot wires and a ground and you will "NOT" be able to use it for 120 volt service without pulling a fourth wire.....a neutral.

Dave: I hope that you won't take this the way it probably sounds(not trying to be snooty); but if you have to ask the question, you probably should get an electrician involved or an experienced DIY guy as it might be more than you should tackle on your own.

Dave_Seward

Thanks guys for the help.

Randy, you are absoulutely right. I have very little knowledge of electricity and wiring. I will be getting more knowledgeable help when I tackle this project. I just wanted to know if it was even worth looking into the possibilities before I spent any money on it. To tell the truth, I'm scared to death of electricity!

Thanks again for the help!

Randy_

Originally posted by arioux
<br />You definitely want to get that 30 amp breaker down and relace it with 15 or 20 amp. Otherwise you wont detect overlaod.

[?][?][?][?][?]

The breakers are there to protect the conductor, not the tools. Assuming the breakers are properly sized for the conductor, there will be no overload until 30 amps is reached at which time the breaker will trip. The breakers in the shop subpanel can be smaller to protect the smaller conductors of the various shop circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom