Continental Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curtis

Continental pen from woodcraft dressed in unknown wood (bought 13 years ago didn't mark). Finished with CA glue ( 7 coats). It does have a problem spot where the finish pushed up a from the blank when assembled, I will be taking it apart to rework tomorrow.
IMG_3817.jpeg
IMG_3816.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Looks good other than that glue thing. That used to happen to me a lot when I used Stick Fast.

I just have to play guess the wood, though. If it smelled a little like pickles while turning, it's Bocote. Zebra wood stinks, to me anyway. Those were the first woods that came to mind looking at the grain and color.

JohnU

I agree, looks like Bocote. Nice looking pen!
Those oily woods tend to have CA slippage. I always wiped it down real good with denatured alcohol or acetone before applying the glue. It will help the glue adhere better.

Curtis

Looks good other than that glue thing. That used to happen to me a lot when I used Stick Fast.

I just have to play guess the wood, though. If it smelled a little like pickles while turning, it's Bocote. Zebra wood stinks, to me anyway. Those were the first woods that came to mind looking at the grain and color.
Yep stick fast is what it is. I used to use EZ but didn't want to wait for it to arrive in the mail so I just bought some from the wood shop. If it happens again then it's going in the trash and I'll be waiting on some EZ to ship. I have 5 more higher end pens coming in the next few days.

sorcerertd

Yep stick fast is what it is. I used to use EZ but didn't want to wait for it to arrive in the mail so I just bought some from the wood shop. If it happens again then it's going in the trash and I'll be waiting on some EZ to ship. I have 5 more higher end pens coming in the next few days.
I jumped on the GluBoost train. It's expensive, but saves me frustration. I think as long as the CA being used has a little flexibility, it will likely work just fine.

Top Bottom