Congressional pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I was watching some news this morning and a bunch of Senators were signing a document. I noticed that they were each handed a new pen when they signed, which some kept and some returned, and it made me wonder what kind of pen style and blank were used. Also, where do they get them from as they must go through a ton a year based on what I saw. It's kind of like when the President signs an executive order and hands the pen he signed it with to someone gathered around his desk. Just curious and no...I'm not at all interested in making any of them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm not sure, but I believe government has a contracted stationery company that supplies the pens and paper for these things. Such as the fancy shmancy binders the Executive Orders are printed on. Government contracts are supposed to go to the lowest bidder. I have my doubts about that.

Several years ago, one of our members posted a photo of a government official with a pen that was made for him. That was a pretty big deal.

But I don't really know the answer to your question. I just thought it would be fun to say something in your thread. šŸ˜

hooked

I can say that this is the pen that Ronald Reagan used to sign the Immigration Reform Act in 1986 framed above my desk. Was presented by a Senator to my father-in-law, who helped write the law.
IMG_2851.jpg
IMG_2852.jpg

I'm not sure, but I believe government has a contracted stationery company that supplies the pens and paper for these things. Such as the fancy shmancy binders the Executive Orders are printed on. Government contracts are supposed to go to the lowest bidder. I have my doubts about that.

Several years ago, one of our members posted a photo of a government official with a pen that was made for him. That was a pretty big deal.

But I don't really know the answer to your question. I just thought it would be fun to say something in your thread. šŸ˜

Wow Chuck. I was hoping you'd come back with you telling me you were the maker:eek:. I agree these are probably not cheap pens but I'd like to know who makes them. Price per each would just be a bonus.

moke

I have been around polotics most of my life. I have never been given a presidential pen, but have a Vice Presidential pen and it appears to be a painted Cross. It has his signature on it similar to the Regan pen shown.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well I looked it up. Mike is correct. The pens President Biden used on Wednesday were made by Providence - based A.T. Cross company. They are the Cross Century II Rollerball Lacquer coated black. Here you go Tom!

$116.00 each!! I'd bet Joe gets a discount for multiple orders. Or Bulk orders. ;)

Well I looked it up. Mike is correct. The pens President Biden used on Wednesday were made by Providence - based A.T. Cross company. They are the Cross Century II Rollerball Lacquer coated black. Here you go Tom!

$116.00 each!! I'd bet Joe gets a discount for multiple orders. Or Bulk orders. ;)
Cross has been the main supplier for many presidents. Some used the Townsend and as Chuck said Biden uses the Century II. Trump used a plain old Sharpie as his signing pen of choice. Article from CNN a few days ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/us/pens-biden-executive-order-trnd/index.html

Thanks for the info Chuck and Ken. It's no wonder so many of the Senators were taking the pens after signing. Can't blame them although I am a tax payer.

Amanap

Sorry but I kind of disagree with using an ordinary, cheap writing instrument. Most of these laws are the result of a lot of hard work and dedication from some passionate people. I see nothing wrong with having a nice pen that played a part in history and would be honored if that pen was something I produced.

Sorry but I kind of disagree with using an ordinary, cheap writing instrument. Most of these laws are the result of a lot of hard work and dedication from some passionate people. I see nothing wrong with having a nice pen that played a part in history and would be honored if that pen was something I produced.

Agreed, if YOU produced it. These are assembly line pens pushed out probably by the hundreds if not thousands per day. I'd love to see where these are produced and if the parts are all MADE IN AMERICA. My knives are all made in America but the parts are from many countries outside the USA. But I hope you and I can agree to disagree on the other facts presented on your post

Amanap

Agreed, if YOU produced it. These are assembly line pens pushed out probably by the hundreds if not thousands per day. I'd love to see where these are produced and if the parts are all MADE IN AMERICA. My knives are all made in America but the parts are from many countries outside the USA. But I hope you and I can agree to disagree on the other facts presented on your post
We can always agree to disagree and we probably have a lot more in common that what we disagree on. I too believe in America it should be made in America and I do my best to buy local.

studioseven

On a serious note, I always was bothered by the number of pens the federal and states use to sign the same document. If it was me I would limit it to one pen per document. The same goes for the first pitch at baseball games. A lot of teams have 5-6 or more first pitches. If you are the second in line, is it really the first pitch?

Seven

tomtedesco

If my memory serves me (not always) Barry Gross made a pen for the White House several years ago. He may have more info on producing pens for president.

moke

A good friend of mine worked in the Vice President's office quite a while ago. Bush and Quayle when the were the VP. They handed out these "Cross" style pens and tie bars to the "Whales". If you got one, you were either like me, a friend or relative, or donated 10k or above. I can't remember for sure but it sticks in my head that the Rep party paid for them.

I worked for the local Sheriff's Office for a very long time, and when a sitting President made a campaign appearance in our area....(I live in Iowa, we have more political visits than most states) the check that paid us to help with protective services was from the Party of the Politician visiting.
So while we all know there is huge waste within our government, I really don't think this is one of them.

Ambidex

especially if the signatures were put on items that might help the common man, and not pad more pockets....but as long as they say it's for your benefit...must be a fact.

Top Bottom