Computer geniuses needed (Long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

hello folks, I am working on the next edition of the Giant pen list.
I am trying to add Bill Baumbecks list of kits. He has a nice neat list on his web site. my problem is I can't simply copy and paste it into my list. I don't know what program he used to make his list. I am using Microsoft spreedsheet 2001. when I paste the list everything pastes but not in the right cells.
my next solution was to paste the whole thing in Microsoft Word then edit it then cut and paste it into my spreed sheet. tedious but it works and it won't be the first time I've used this method.
If anyone has a better solution please share it. including where to get any of the programs I would need.
On a simular note. i fooled around and actually lost my original of the pen list. I had to download it from this site and have the same problem with getting it back into my spreedsheet. it is a real pain with the cross referencing effort that is going on right now. I have to cut and paste everything into it's correct cells before I can even make any changes to the list.
in conclusion. I fully realize I am an idiot but I have full confidence that some of you can rescue me from the monster I have created.
thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think the easiest way would be to ask Bill for a copy of the list.

He may need to be reminded that being added to the list will help him and is free advertising as well.

Are you saying you need a copy of your xls file?

Daniel

Ron,
I just did some more sneaking around. Bills list is a table on his web site. not sure there is an easy fix for that one.
not trying to be a whiner but the word doc it makes is 31 pages long. starts to make my pen list look like a wimp.
I'll get it done I'm just hoping someone can come up with a much faster process than I have.

fuzzydog

Daniel, I had this all done once and than hit the wrong key and it went away so I'll thy again.
A spreadsheet is a table with added power. MS Excell can make the handling of your problem quite painless. With all the data in a single cell, select that cell. on the tool bar select "Data" under Data select "Text to Columns" you will now have a pop up window that is asking how the info is delimited, you have a number of choices but the advantage is that you will see a preview window (the lower part of the window) and be able to tell if your getting the results you want.
MS Word: Select all the data, under "Table" on the tool bar select "Convert" than select "Text to table" If it all works out you can copy and paste it into a spreadsheet. If not you may have to select the info than under Edit use the Find and Replace functions to get it formated so you can use the Convert function above. ie: you may have to find spaces and replace with commas or tabs (your choice)
Sorry about the length but if you need additional help just email me and I'll do my best to lend a hand. FYI I spend 12 yrs as a Help Desk rep and computer software instructor for a Data Processing firm.

Ron Mc

Daniel,
After looking at Bills list and the code it looks to be made in a "table" format. I have yet to see a "table" that can be copied and pasted into a spread sheet.
You'll need to ask Bill for a spreadsheet format and then "Import" it instead of "copy and paste.

Daniel

Fuzzy,
I managed to get the word file into spreedsheet in a better fashion that I had it before. I can't find a cell break that will be consistant for bills list yet but I think this will at least speed things up. thanks

alamocdc

Daniel, you should be able to paste it into a text document and then import it into Excel. You should have the option to choose space vs. comma delimited.

Daniel

Thanks folks, I received the answers I needed. A few times over.
you all are great, and a special thanks to those that sent me there own lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom