combination CA and Lacquer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

I posted in the individual classifieds that I had visited Rich in Peoria and purchased some pen blanks - as well as received the nearly grand tour of his amazing storage facility of wood. I also posted a couple of pics of the blanks I purchased plus a few that he gave me (after I milled them). Some of that was an Osage Orange burl cap that was just sitting out - kind of small, and he didn't want to mess with. I got 8-9 very solid oversize pieces (1 inch X 7 inch each), but he told me to make a couple of lesser expensive pens on some of the stuff first - to see how it worked. I also wanted to try a portion of Fangar's finishing technique with a twist of completing with lacquer rather than CA all the way.

I will be purchasing all of the stuff needed for the complete CA approach within the next two weeks - and will go for a complete Fangar Finish (how's that for a title?) - but in the meantime, I'm killing two birds with one pic by posting a picture of two of the four pens I made this afternoon from the burl I mentioned above. Frankly - I chose the most rotten and what would appear to be unusable portion of the burl - because I didn't want to screw up the best stuff. As it tunrs out - Osage Orange is a really fun wood to work with - and it really soaked up the thin CA after turning. In honesty, I did stabilize a bit after gluing in the brass tubes - around the edges of each end of tube - to help eliminate blow out. I also used a skew when I got close - to get as nice a finish as possible - and in order to go straight to 320 and 400 grits. I didn't use any micro mesh - but I will be using some on future pens. I also didn't have any TSW or plastic sanding sealer - nor any polish. Frankly - all these had done were the following:

Turn and sand with 400, 600, and 1000 grits sandpaper.
DA
Thin CA applied with sandpaper
Sand 400, 600, 1000 with DA between
2nd coat of thin CA
Thick coat of CA

2 Coats of Spray Lacquer with a gun and compressor - sponge sand between coats (25 minute dry time before second coat)

Wait 2 hours before assembly

That's it. Sorry for the quality of the pic - I want a new camera, and I want to build a cheapo photo booth - but this was taken on a desk with a flouresent lamp overhead - best I could do.

Comments welcome.

200642923354_Osage%20Orange%20Burls%203%20resized.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerGarrett

You have to go back several pages in the Finishing category - and you will see a post for his finishing technique - plus questions and answers following.

This may get you there......

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11970

Best,
Roger Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom