Colors seperating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Ok on my second casting attempt I wanted to make a green and yellow swirl blank. My mold holds 8oz so I put 4oz into two cups, in one I mixed my green and in the other I mixed my yellow. Added the MEKP to both cups mixed and then poured them both into the mold at the same time, swirling them around and over each other. After they were in the mold I stirred gently for a few seconds more to help mix then put it in the pot to cure. When I took it out this is what it looked like:

P1030741%20Large.jpg

P1030742%20Large.jpg

P1030743%20Large.jpg

The yellow separated from the green. So, what is the secret to blending colors?

BTW here are a couple pictures of it on a pen.

P1030746_edited%20Large.jpg

P1030745_edited%20Large.jpg

The first picture is what I was aiming for.
Sorry for the oversized photos.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ones

This looks like first attempt also. I just used pr and catalist. Added one color on top of the other. I'm not sure how to get the mix running lengthwise or why it settles out like this.

neon007

Dale, the trick to good swirls is to make sure that the two different colors are the same consistency. Otherwise you get seperation. Meaning the heavier and thicker of the two will sink.

alamocdc

What Keith said. My first guess was that the pigments were different kinds of materials with one being heavier than the other. Or that you had more of the green pigment mixed in than the yellow making the mix heavier.

ahoiberg

you also might consider letting one color set-up for 10-15 minutes before adding in the second color. this way, the second color will 'suspend' in the first. i'm still waiting to try that method, but it seems to have worked for others.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by alamocdc

What Keith said. My first guess was that the pigments were different kinds of materials with one being heavier than the other. Or that you had more of the green pigment mixed in than the yellow making the mix heavier.

Your probably right about having more green. Both pigments are "Hastings opaque color" that I got from the store where I purchased the resin. The colors are a paste and I noticed when I opened them the yellow was drier. I found after I had mixed and poured them that there was a glob of yellow still on my stirrer.
It's too bad they separated like that, the blank was the easiest PR I've turned.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I wait until the the PR is almost a gel before I pour them both together.I just keep poking at it every minute or so ,it happens very fast when it goes off.

Top Bottom