Colored sand inlay on apple bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenobi

Hello there!

I would like to show you a bowl I have finished today. But its not the bowl itself what's so great. I have experimented with colored sand ( dirty cheap compared to any other similar material ) as a filling for CA inlay. I have used a rough grinding stone ( that one that is used to shape grinding discs ) to make it flat before sanding.

1000032610.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenobi

Asking: could you supply a tutorial as a text or a video on this? I find this very interesting.
Its really simple,but a bit time consuming. Make a groove. Still on lathe, apply thin CA into the groove,and pour the sand over it. Put some container under the bowl,because most of the sand will fall of. When first layer is done,do another turn. Two are usually enough to have the groove filled, then add more CA to make it uniform. Saturate the sand with CA, and let dry overnight. Use a coarse grinding stone ( I use the one thats used to shape grinding discs ) with lathe spinnin to remove most of the extra sand. And let's sand and smell the CA :) There will probably be some holes,so fill with CA,sand, and again:)

Kenobi

Thick CA I would venture. Thanks. Get to use the wife's discount at Hobby Lobby.
Just do not waste your money on StarBond or any similar branded, expensive CA for this purpose. Basically, the cheapest thin CA will do the job . I have used 2 doses of cheap CA from local Vietnamese shop, 1$ each:)

Woodchipper

Kenobi, I have three viscosities for pen turning- thin, medium, thick. I have used the thin formula from either Harbor Freight or the $ Tree. Now to visit Hobby Lobby.

Top Bottom