Collaboration with Rudy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Recently, Our Northern Virginia/Maryland clubs had Rudy Lopez up for meeting demonstrations and workshops. He really does wonderful work and has some interesting pieces he turns.
Well, he sent me a box with some blanks for his stirrer/serving spatulas. The box contained two sets of blanks.....one which he turned one half of the pair which was my sample to turn the matching stirrer...and then another set of rough blanks. These come out of the same piece of wood so the grain is closely matched and is a good use of shorter cut offs. Notice these are right and left handed!
I got into these last weekend and completed the other half to match his. The piece Rudy turned is the darker one in the pics as my newly turned mate has not aged and darkened. He said these are Cherry but it sure has interesting grain/coloring.
These are just under 7" and almost 2.5" wide.....1.25" diameter at the handle and have an Oil Finish.
We have found these to be very comfortable in the hand and easy to useđź‘Ť

1139DCB4-EE22-4462-B4DA-9BA8F0E521E2.jpeg
E3653203-85BE-4324-ABC6-377F4728D9E3.jpeg
391B303D-497D-475A-A2FE-44091DFDAF90.jpeg
1B6563E6-2411-4537-9BF8-01CF6BE21921.jpeg
BA353FE0-A987-4E7F-83B5-2716D91F64F4.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Simply beautiful. I just have to ask... My wife will not use the spoon you gifted me for the blank. She looks at it, wipes it off then puts it away o_O .

I keep teller her "It was made to be used."

What are your recommendations for usage?

I have mineral oil and filtered walnut oil (Amish).

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Simply beautiful. I just have to ask... My wife will not use the spoon you gifted me for the blank. She looks at it, wipes it off then puts it away o_O .

I keep teller her "It was made to be used."

What are your recommendations for usage?

I have mineral oil and filtered walnut oil (Amish).

Mark, On the spoon, use as usual...hot stuff is fine. I have already raised and resanded the grain twice. There may be a little bit more raise after seeing hot soup or spaghetti sauce.....or whatever. Simply use a bit of 400g and sand smooth then coat with mineral oil....wait 10 to 20 minutes and wipe off. Let it dry overnight and it is ready to go again. Soap and water is fine and dry it off. I recommend NOT putting in the dishwasher although I hear of some folks doing so.
Many use the Walnut oil but to us, it has an aroma where as the mineral oil does not. Now, go christen that spoon!

Top Bottom