Cocobolo finishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I'm getting ready to turn a pen for my daughter, using cocobolo for the blanks. Everything is ready to trim and turn but I'm asking a question here: Is the wood oily so is wiping with DNA or acetone needed before applying CA? Once or a few times? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

OK, got lazy from the start. I did some searching (should have done this first as the forum is a great resource) and found this old thread on IAP. Adding anything else is appreciated.
https://www.penturners.org/threads/best-way-to-finish-cocobolo.51624/
#4 answer is the way I would go I have done that when I make bases for my scrollsaw projects. Very fine sanding 600 to 800 to close up grain and I apply a Danish oil to it and let dry and then polish on polishing wheels and comes out with a beautiful Patina

Woodchipper

Thanks but....don't have a polishing wheel. Suggestions?
Edit: Lowe's has Watco Danish oil- brown, medium brown, brown walnut, dark brown. Before I spend the $$$, what else can it be used for? May be getting back into turning other things later. John T., thanks for your reply.

bigcountry7

The first time I sanded cocobolo on the lathe, the oil gummed up the whole blank. I had to sand with some dna. As long as I kept it wet, it sanded ok.

Woodchipper

Use caution! Cocobolo can cause both skin rashes and breathing problems. Use a mask to keep the dust out of your lungs. Wash any exposed skin to remove any sanding dust and chips.
Thanks but "So far, so good." Have a dust collection system at the lathe within inches of the blank so dust isn't a problem.

Woodchipper

Obviously no hurry to turn and finish the pen. I do have Linspeed gunstock finish. Any thoughts on this? Hate to buy a can of Danish oil for one pen right now.

jttheclockman

Obviously no hurry to turn and finish the pen. I do have Linspeed gunstock finish. Any thoughts on this? Hate to buy a can of Danish oil for one pen right now.
I never used the product you mentioned so can not answer. I use Danish oil because it has a small amount of poly in it so it seals as well as adds the gloss. Good luck.

bigcountry7

FWIW, I mix my own Danish oil from equal parts:
1. mineral spirits
2. Oil based varnish (poly, spar varnish, arm-r-seal or whatever you have on hand)
3. Curing Wiping oil (I've used boiled linseed oil, and tung oil)

egnald

On Cocobolo I have been successful with a regimen of cleaning with denatured alcohol, 4 think coats of thin CA, 8 thin coats of medium CA, Micromesh wet, optionally buff with blue compound on a sewn cotton wheel followed by a polish with a loosely sewn flannel wheel. I also occasionally use Doctor's Woodshop finishes, Walnut Oil sanding lube and Pens Plus finish. - Dave

PS Although more natural oil/wax "woodlike" finishes are nice, I like shiny pens - It's just a personal preference. Here are a few thumbnails of Cocobolo pens I have made with CA finishes.

IMG_1672 Cropped.jpgIMG_1683 Cropped.jpgIMG_1177 Cropped.jpgIMG_1180 Cropped.jpg
IMG_2741 Cropped.jpg

Woodchipper

egnald, thanks. I took the plunge and applied a coat of WOP. Getting ready to put on a second coat (on the pen, not me as it is warm in the shop šŸ˜ ).

jttheclockman

On Cocobolo I have been successful with a regimen of cleaning with denatured alcohol, 4 think coats of thin CA, 8 thin coats of medium CA, Micromesh wet, optionally buff with blue compound on a sewn cotton wheel followed by a polish with a loosely sewn flannel wheel. I also occasionally use Doctor's Woodshop finishes, Walnut Oil sanding lube and Pens Plus finish. - Dave

PS Although more natural oil/wax "woodlike" finishes are nice, I like shiny pens - It's just a personal preference. Here are a few thumbnails of Cocobolo pens I have made with CA finishes.

View attachment 346020View attachment 346019View attachment 346017View attachment 346018
View attachment 346022
#2,#4,#5

Very nice blanks and fit and finish perfect. A+++++ Is that a newer click Sierra?? If so how do you like them? Does it use the Schmidt mechanism and does it have that plastic thingy that can get lost? Thanks.

egnald

#2,#4,#5

Very nice blanks and fit and finish perfect. A+++++ Is that a newer click Sierra?? If so how do you like them? Does it use the Schmidt mechanism and does it have that plastic thingy that can get lost? Thanks.
JT, it is a Rhodium Gatsby Click from PSI and it does have a plastic Click Mechanism. I really do like the Schmidt mechanisms on the newer designs though, they are much better than all of the clickers that have plastic bits and pieces.

Cocobolo is one of my favorite "enigma" kinds of woods. It seems like the colors and grain are always a little bit of a mystery until the blanks get turned. Thanks for the compliment on fit - Dave

Top Bottom