Click pens quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day folks,

I have someone in South Arabia wanting me to make a pen and some other item that I may show when done if all goes ahead. The pen has to be a click pen with true Aussie Buloke wood from my private collection so, I ask the question to you folks, what is the best click pen out there...?

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

I like the Vertex. It's hefty and solid.
hgGBRySm.jpg

Ed at Exotic Blanks sent me a sample of his own brand, Smitty's Pen Works pen that he says has one of the best click mechanisms he's seen but I haven't had a chance to assemble one but I've never known Ed to steer me wrong.
Capture.PNG

Sly Dog

I'll put in a vote for the Blade Button Click - it has a long barrel (not sure if it's quite as long as the Vertex) for showing off the blank and the Schmidt skm-88 mechanism which is quiet and smooth. Sierra Super Button Click is also nice (same mechanism but shorter barrel if I recall correctly).

Whatever you choose, I hope we'll get to see it! 👍🏻😀

magpens

The best click pen out there is this one (available in other platings) :

This pen has the quietest and most reliable click mechanism available ( Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism ).
I am a customer only of this vendor and have no other connection. . I have made dozens of these pens.

This pen is quite similar in style and size to the Sierra but has the superior Schmidt click mechanism.

There are other kits that use the same Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism.
What distinguishes this particular kit, as well as its very attractive styling, is that the clicker unit is partially recessed into the finial hardware.
By contrast, the PSI Duraclick EDC kit (probably the first kit to use this Schmidt clicker) leaves the clicker unit fully exposed which resulted in some criticism by early users on account of its lengthy appearance.

If you have questions about my experiences with this kit, let me know by PM.

Last edited:

Alan Morrison

Hello George.
You will be well pleased if you get the Tempest Clicker from Beaufort Ink in the UK.
Very reliable, which is what you want in a clicker.
Alan

Penchant 4

Have not experienced a better click mechanism than the Schmidt SKM-88 mentioned above. That is not to say one does not exist; but only that in 4+ years at this, the Schmidt has beaten all the others.

ramaroodle

The best click pen out there is this one (available in other platings) :

This pen has the quietest and most reliable click mechanism available ( Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism ).
I am a customer only of this vendor and have no other connection. . I have made dozens of these pens.

This pen is quite similar in style and size to the Sierra but has the superior Schmidt click mechanism.

There are other kits that use the same Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism.
What distinguishes this particular kit, as well as its very attractive styling, is that the clicker unit is partially recessed into the finial hardware.
By contrast, the PSI Duraclick EDC kit (probably the first kit to use this Schmidt clicker) leaves the clicker unit fully exposed which resulted in some criticism by early users on account of its lengthy appearance.

If you have questions about my experiences with this kit, let me know by PM.
Seems interesting but I don't see where you named a particular kit, or are all of their kits with clickers outfitted with the same mechanism?

magpens

Seems interesting but I don't see where you named a particular kit, or are all of their kits with clickers outfitted with the same mechanism?

Yes, it is the Luxor kit ..... in Chrome, Gold, Gun Metal and Satin Chrome. . I thought the vendor listing reference would include the kit name.

The barrel is a nice length at 2.77 inches ( compare the original Sierra Click length of 2.42 inches ).

Curly

Since William Wood-Write doesn't show international rates, just Canada and the US, they may not be shipping to Australia. George would have to contact them to see if they will sell and ship to him.

George if Bill isn't shipping to Australia and you must have some of his stuff ;) I'd get them and post them on to you.

ramaroodle

I thought the vendor listing reference would include the kit name.
My bad. It did. I thought it was a link to the vendor and not the pen. Just ordered 2 of them. I have a couple of Vertex's, a few of the Smitty's and just ordered 2 of the Luxor so I can make a comparison. Got waaaay too many blanks so I need some pens to fill them.

robutacion

Thanks guys for the help.

Quite honestly, I haven't done a pen in some years and I know that I have not been following the "avalanche" of new pen kits and parts appearing in the market these last few years so, I don't really know what is out there at the moment reason of my thread/question.

I have sufficient possibilities from the posts so far, I will have to send some pics to the client of at least the 2 types I'm considering (Luxor and Tempest) and the various platings available for them, I like the Luxor better than the Tempest but that is just me.

Once again, I appreciate your collaboration on this.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom