Clear AC drain line

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

AC shut off twice in the past month by float switch. I put bleach... have used vinegar. Vacuumed from outside. Can't call for service right now. I think a shot of compressed air would be best but I do not have any. How do you service yours? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jokker78

Make sure you flush it out. The bleach killed the growth, but it will clog again as it comes loose.
Pour hot water after the bleach has sit

WriteON

I did vacuum from outside. Line is ok for now. Getting a drip. Everything is ok. Just looking to clear it more. We have it serviced 2x yearly. Last year the service tech blew it out with air...it blew some junk out. I'm up and running. Poured about 6oz of bleach...followed by 3 large cups of water. I'm going to try the compressed air route. Wish me luck. Thanks for the replies.

donstephan

Bit of cloth at end of electrician's "snake" or small diameter long hose to push obstructions out? Our HVAC tech carries "Stinger" brand small vac because it is so portable and the hose fits the discharge on furnaces. I bought one last year when we had problems.

Charlie_W

If your shop vac has an exit port where you can attach your hose, that will let you blow it out.
Do you have a gravity drain or a tank/pump drain system?

WriteON

If your shop vac has an exit port where you can attach your hose, that will let you blow it out.
Do you have a gravity drain or a tank/pump drain system?
Gravity. Into the ground under the slab to the exterior. I will try make a fitting and blow outward. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 113

Charlie_W

Gravity. Into the ground under the slab to the exterior. I will try make a fitting and blow outward. Thanks.

If there is a trap in the line, it is most likely sludge in the trap. You can try a piece of small plastic tubing to try to break it loose. Then add water and blow out, repeat. This should help.

dogcatcher

Doesn't anyone have a bicycle pump anymore? A couple quick pumps should loosen the plugged bit enough to drain.
A bicycle pump, a big Gatorade bottle, 2 tire stem valves and some hose and a ball valve. Drill the cap of the bottle to fit the 2 tire stems, one to fill the bottle with air, the other with a hose and ball valve to hit the line with pressure.

Top Bottom