Cleaning the Nova chuck(or any)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

It started binding...getting hard to engage from the dust/dirt inside. I took it outside and blasted it with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, Worked out great. However that stuff is brutal. It dissolves latex gloves, must wear protective goggles, damaging to any finishes it contacts. Alternatives? What have you done to clean the chucks? I might try reading the instructions. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

For my one way chucks maintence is a empty two pound coffee can with paint thinner and a brass brush. Let them soak for time and the brush out out the gunk that has bilt up in the chuck parts. Blow dry with high press air. Spray with WD 40 and then blow off the excessive WD40.
Have been doing this for years and chuck work like new.
I save the paint thinner, pore it off in a gal can, when using next time just pore off slowly the top and not getting the settlement off the bottom. Then shake the last bit and pore off the settlement., good to go for several cleanings.

Depending the usage chuck will get cleaned ever three mos or so.

Sure love the advice from Charlie above (Dieseldoc). I'm thinking I'll give that a try when I need to. Also, suggest you do NOT try to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Unless you are a genius mechanic or whatever... I did that to one of my chucks and it took a little more than I was planning to get it back together and working properly.

WriteON

Sure love the advice from Charlie above (Dieseldoc). I'm thinking I'll give that a try when I need to. Also, suggest you do NOT try to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Unless you are a genius mechanic or whatever... I did that to one of my chucks and it took a little more than I was planning to get it back together and working properly.
Gun scrubber is a seriously great degresser/cleaner. Blows the crap out while assembled. I'm almost at the stage in life where I do not have take something apart because it's a rainy day and I'm bored. Been there been there.

howsitwork

I dust em out with a brass bristle brush and use PTFE dry lubricant or a graphite based lubricant. Any great etc attracts dust like honey attracts bees. The resulting sludge gums em up causing issues. PTFE , graphite spray or dry moly spray work really well and you don't need a lot.

Charlie_W

A turner in one of our clubs takes apart the OneWay chucks in the club shop and puts the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner with warm water/ Simple Green cleaner. They come out sparkling clean, get dried and sprayed with something similar to WD40 while reassembling the chuck.

mmayo

After reading this post and noticing how poorly my Nova G3 was operating I sprayed mine with lubricant and spun it with lots of newspapers around it. Not much mess after the precautions and the chuck is like brand new.

THANKS

randyrls

I see the warnings above about not disassembling chucks, but has anyone disassembled and cleaned a Nova G3 chuck?

The instructions make it look very easy to disassemble and reassemble, and there are very few parts. Is it really that problematic to disassemble, clean, and reassemble?

See this, scroll down to Nova G3 on page 7:
https://www.teknatool.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/NOVA-Chuck-Maintenance-Guide.pdf
Not every chuck is marked like the Nova. If the slides and chuck body aren't marked it can be very easy to mix things up! The scroll is a spiral. If you remove the jaws, and open the sliders and look into the chuck, you can see the scroll near the center. It is possible to open the jaws so far the sliders fall out. :mad::eek:
The actual work isn't difficult to do, but you MUST get the chuck "slides" off and back on in the same position and order. If wrong the chuck may have run-out. The "Timing" of the re-assembly is crucial. Each jaw MUST engage the scroll in turn. If wrong, the jaws will not come together in the center of the chuck.

WriteON

Just bought a pair of G3's. One on sale and the new G3 ProTec… what ever that is. They are coated with oil. He we go again with the Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The IAP Chicago chapter this weekend is showing Dick Sing's take on chucks including disassembly and cleaning, I am told.
Email Mark Dreyer for invitation to attend by zoom. Meeting this Saturday is hosted by JohnU.
I will be out of town visiting mom, so not gonna be there.

Ed

Top Bottom