Cleaning Saw Blades . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I used to use oven cleaner but have read in woodworking sites p[osts from Freeud resentatives that oven cleaner has an adverse effect on the Carbide welds.
Many soak in bakinng soda and warm water/scrub with a tooth brush.
I just wipe them with acetone.Some of the protective covering comes off but I use inexpensive blades.Eventually its time to buy a new one.Sharpening a $10.00 blade is not cost effective.

cozee

I use the cheap ones also. But since getting into turning pens and cutting my own blanks (read that as green wood many times!!) I am getting more pitch build up than I am used to. Of course this adds to the dulling of the blade but also burning and scorching of the wood. Pens blanks don't look so good when they look like the side of a Nextel car after a short track race!!!

Never thought of trying acetone!! Off to soak a few blades!!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by cozee
<br />I use the cheap ones also. But since getting into turning pens and cutting my own blanks (read that as green wood many times!!) I am getting more pitch build up than I am used to. Of course this adds to the dulling of the blade but also burning and scorching of the wood. Pens blanks don't look so good when they look like the side of a Nextel car after a short track race!!!

Never thought of trying acetone!! Off to soak a few blades!!
I wouldn't "soak them"
You also might try a tooth brush and mineral spirits.
For "geen wood" use a bandsaw, dry and then dimension on a TS .
I don't use a full size blade for pen blanks.7&1/4 is big enough for me, at most an 8"blade

reed43

Super Clean from the auto dept at Walmart works better than anything I have found. It is in a purple one gallon bottle. I run a scrap piece of wood into the blade to stop the cleaner from running everywhere and apply with a brush. It cleans very quickly.This is what the guy that sharpens blades here in Yuma uses to remove pitch
Ps it is made by Castrol

terry q

Greg

I soak my blades in Simple Green. I took an old 5 gal paing bucket and cut the bottom off about 3 inches deep. I pour enough SG to cover the blade. Soak it for a couple of hours and the pitch knocks right off with a brass bursh. Strain the mix through a coffee filter and reuse it. SG is very friendly.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom