Chuck Arbor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I have a 1MT 1/2 Drill Chuck on my small lathe. I purchased a 2MT lathe. I am wondering if I can just buy a New Arbor or will I have to get a new Chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Look on the drill chuck, it should have the Jacob's Taper number listed on it, on mine it is usually a 33JT, or JT33. Might be other, it might be a screw on chuck that fits the arbor. Then find a MT2 arbor with teh same end.

magpens

Ian, just above, has suggested an MT1 to MT2 adapter sleeve. . These are available, but not everywhere, in my experience.

If the chuck and existing MT1 arbor come apart, I would think that it would be better to replace the MT1 arbor with an MT2 arbor to match new lathe.

But as dogcatcher said, you then have to also worry about the taper on the chuck matching the "input taper" on the MT2 arbor.
The taper on chucks is often a female JT33. . So then you would need an MT2 arbor with a male JT33 on the end opposite the male MT2.

Some Jacobs chucks that fit into a female MT1 taper (as would seem to be the present case for Madman's first lathe) ....
.... in some cases such a chuck has an MT1 taper which is an integral part of the chuck .... not separable

Then you have to buy a new chuck and a new arbor for matching female MT2 on the lathe.

Top Bottom