Christmas done early, finally!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

So I know I posted these a while back but here are my finished gifts for my Mom and Sister. There aren't many options in this oilfield country to buy hardwoods. Oak is about all you can buy and I didn't want to ship boxes weighing in at around 30lbs. Lol So I used some cutoffs of my cedar patio I built last year. Put them thru the planer and used those. The lids are different also. Only had one piece of pine to do my sisters lid and had an old oak sinktop that I planed down to size also. Covered the bottoms with felt. Then I decorated the lids with my Neje 3500. If I know them, they won't ever use them and will be happy with them no matter how odd they look. Lol Btw, My sisters favorite color is Pink and my Mom's is blue.

Attachments

• Susies box inside done.jpg
    Susies box inside done.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Susies box 2.jpg
    Susies box 2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Moms box inside done.jpg
    Moms box inside done.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 230
  • Moms box 2.jpg
    Moms box 2.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 217
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bobby, they are wonderful. You may be very correct on the future usage... But love and effort went into the sets, and they will be appreciated.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Lucky2

Bobby, they are very nice gifts, both recipients will be impressed. And the value that they would place on them, is more money than most men could afford. Nicely done! There is one item that I don't care a lot for though, and it's that you burned the year into each lid upside down.

Len

turncrazy43

Bobby, those are really great gifts. I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated and treasured for many years to come. Nice thsat you were able to use some left over wood from other projects as well. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Turncrazy43

bsshog40

Bobby, they are very nice gifts, both recipients will be impressed. And the value that they would place on them, is more money than most men could afford. Nicely done! There is one item that I don't care a lot for though, and it's that you burned the year into each lid upside down.

Len
Lol

bsshog40

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments. Don't expect I'll ever use those cedar planks for making much after these. The stuff is way too light and fragile. I did coat everything with BLO so hopefully it will help strengthen just a tad. Lol

Lucky2

Bobby, if you have any, Danish Oil would be better to stiffen up the cedar then BLO. Plus, it pops the grain nearly as well, and a couple of coats of it would be a good finish.

Len

howsitwork

that's really inspirational stuff. Well done and a really great idea. I go along with either tung oil ( great but takes day as to set over here but will cure faster in your higher temperatures ) or danish oil to fill the wood and reinforce it.

Well done

bsshog40

that's really inspirational stuff. Well done and a really great idea. I go along with either tung oil ( great but takes day as to set over here but will cure faster in your higher temperatures ) or danish oil to fill the wood and reinforce it.

Well done
Thank you! All I have is teak oil, tung oil finish and blo. The blo seemed to coat better. I haven't found any danish oil or plain tung oil in this area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom