Chicagoland Chapter June Demo - Casting With JohnU

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

As mentioned at the meeting, we have the luck of a lot of talent in the Chicagoland Area. Thanks to Ed Brown for his demo on closed end pens and the interactive conversations we had with Ed and Dick.

June will be another "can't miss" meeting.

June 10 – John Underhill (JohnU) - Introduction to Casting

Introduction to Casting. From John - I'll cover different molds, pressure tanks, vertical and block casting, and show two videos - casting polyresin and alumilite. Then I can pass around the actual blanks made in the videos.

Other Meeting Dates:
August 12
October 14
December 16

All meetings are from 10 am - 1 pm

139 South Weber Road
Bolingbrook, IL 60490

Demo Challenge:
Each month we will have a new challenge. Since April was Closed End Pen demo – bring your closed end pen. Winner will get a nice prize. Congratulations to Kim for her win last month.

Blank Exchange:
Was very well received, so we will do it again and it will be a staple at the meetings. Thanks Randy for helping out and running this.

Tips and Tricks:
Please bring your tips and tricks for all of us to share and learn. Last month we had a few but always looking for more. Even if small – it might be something someone else is struggling with.

Show and Tell:
Please bring any pens you either loved making and just want to show off / are having trouble with a techniques and want help / want feedback on / or just want to put on a table. This will be an open forum to help each other. You will find two things out – one helping others is fun and two you know more than you think you do and others will benefit.

Looking for demonstrators and / or topics. If you have any interest in doing a demo email me. Also if you have suggestions for a demo you would like to see email me back. Per the suggestion I will be sending an email looking for the topic you would like to see prioritized and moved up.

Thanks,
Mark

We had a few people I need to thank for the last meeting:

Rockler – thanks for donating the facility and the gift cards
ExoticBlanks.com / Ed Brown – Demonstration
L & R Collectables / Rich Rossio – Door Prizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Just a quick reminder of the following:

The challenge this month was based on the demo last month - closed end pen. Bring your pens and your stories of accomplishments. I know Ed's demo must have inspired you to try it.

Please bring your "tips and tricks" for that section of the meeting.

And last and certainly not least - John will be demoing his casting techniques. As mentioned above it is well worth going for that. I saw his first demo a few years back at a MPG and that is where I learned to cast. It was a great demo. And his demo last month in Ohio was equally great.

See you soon,
Mark

Last edited:
Linda and I are planning on making it down to the one, riding scooters down weather permitting (it will be our anniversary, so I might have to take her out for a fancy meal on the way home :biggrin: ). Looking forward to another demo by John, the MPG seminar was outstanding. I am interested in getting into casting and have been slowly gathering the needed stuff for it, so I am really looking forward to this demo.

mg_dreyer

I have had a few members reach out and let me know Rockler is doing another demo at the store at the same time. I called Rockler and we will have our normal space and we are ready to go. Sincerely thanks for the heads up.

mg_dreyer

I will be unable to attend on Saturday (scheduled for an Art show in the area) and have asked Ed Brown (ExoticBlanks.com) to sub for me. Once again lucky to have this ability to ask people to help out.

Dave Burk will run the contest - same as the past.
Randy Ward will run the blank exchange.

And yes - I am sincerely disappointed to miss John's demo.

JohnU

Just wanted to say "Thank You" to those that could make it. I had a fun time talking with all of you and hope I didn't put any of you to sleep. Ed was a great Host and Dave had everything under control with the contest, blank swap and photos. Also, a Thank You to Rockler for providing us with such a great place to meet. Looking forward to seeing you all again in August!

Top Bottom