cherry bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

I feel a bit humbled by Rons bowl and many others here, but this is only the 4th bowl I've made and the largest, 6" at the mouth, 4" deep. The others were 3-4" and very shallow. It is cherry and was really nice to work with. There are flaws, but what the heck, if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.

2008226123143_Copy%20of%20bowl%204.jpg

2008226123159_Copy%20of%20bowl%204%20(1).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtate

I'd be proud of it too!
Do you want some suggestions? Here's a gentle one - and DAMHIKT - try to get the surfaces of the bowl (sides, edges, and bottom) all of about the same thickness. Even with fairly dry wood, there's a risk of cracking as the wood absorbs moisture. This is lessened if the wood's even thickness lets it move evenly.

Another suggestion is to learn to turn bowls on green wood. This is NOT what pen turners are prone to so. A pen turned of green wood cracks and is useless. A bowl, on the other hand, moves and warps in wonderful ways. Besides that, you can wrap up the rough-turned bowl in paperbags and let it dry a few weeks and then turn it again and have to round, not warped, if that's your preference. The most wonderful reason to turn green wood bowls is that the wood comes off it in these long, beautiful, strips that smell of the forest and often sling sap onto your googles. The turning process is just to beautiful with green wood.

Okay, please forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

Julia

Top Bottom