Cheese Slicer drilling fence

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I have made over 250 cheese slicers with the first drilling support shown here. It is very crude, but fully functional. When you drill a 1/4" hole 4" into the cheese slicer 1/4" parallel from the top face, you better get it right. That said, here is my new more elegant version using Microjig components. The entire "fence" slides forward and backward on the dovetail grooves. Before I used two HF spring clamps to secure the cheese slicer. They moved sometimes so hands were needed for additional support. The new clamps hold fast, period. The stops should help speed repetitive drilling when 6-12 boards are drilled at one time.

When you make things like this it is very easy to be off 90 degrees. When all was finished I zeroed my digital angle finder Christmas present and took a deep breath; 90.0! Whew!

Time for a lottery ticket?

Attachments

• 2E310E8E-F47E-403F-9903-EA2515072544.jpeg
    2E310E8E-F47E-403F-9903-EA2515072544.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 254
  • B5E272A3-7883-4F30-8B2C-2FCC1FA596A7.jpeg
    B5E272A3-7883-4F30-8B2C-2FCC1FA596A7.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 251
  • D4A675B3-E7AB-4073-A1EE-26AF91902AE5.jpeg
    D4A675B3-E7AB-4073-A1EE-26AF91902AE5.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 5614625B-A63B-4456-B97A-724FC95D652E.jpeg
    5614625B-A63B-4456-B97A-724FC95D652E.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

By the way, I always considered myself "sled and fence challenged". I make them, but I'm always dissatisfied in my effort. I am in awe of some people's great work in this area.

I'm getting better and far faster with the Microjig system. They work and are so much more flexible than my previous efforts.

An adjustable height, rolling 24"x46" work table is in the queue…

jecinco

I drill the on the lathe. Hold the flat board between the jaws of the chuck and adjust its position to get the right distance from the top of the boards. Always hit the center of the board so you only have to set the distance from the end.
Use a forster bit and drill to the desired depth. Works great and is fast.

egnald

Cool Jig! It looks like you made a dovetail drill press table to use with your MicroJig hold down clamps too! I have only made a couple of cheese slicers and drilling was a challenge. I may have to make a tall 90-degree fence like yours. I've also thought about making some kind of horizontal drilling jig using a drill bushing guide that I can use with my hand drill. I guess I will decide the next time I make up a cheese slicer.

I use T-Track and T-Track hold downs on my jigs but I haven't been happy with my routed in T-Slots so recently I've been gluing and screwing in aluminum T-Track. How do you like the MicroJig system?

Dave

mmayo

Cool Jig! It looks like you made a dovetail drill press table to use with your MicroJig hold down clamps too! I have only made a couple of cheese slicers and drilling was a challenge. I may have to make a tall 90-degree fence like yours. I've also thought about making some kind of horizontal drilling jig using a drill bushing guide that I can use with my hand drill. I guess I will decide the next time I make up a cheese slicer.

I use T-Track and T-Track hold downs on my jigs but I haven't been happy with my routed in T-Slots so recently I've been gluing and screwing in aluminum T-Track. How do you like the MicroJig system?

Dave
It was a very good purchase and direction for me. It works and works well. I bought their straight bit and dovetail bit as recommended.

The 1-1/2" green dovetail objects work well with 3/4" plywood. The 1" are for 1/2" MDF.

mmayo

I drill the on the lathe. Hold the flat board between the jaws of the chuck and adjust its position to get the right distance from the top of the boards. Always hit the center of the board so you only have to set the distance from the end.
Pens, stoppers seam rippers etc are drilled on my lathe. Cheese slicers in the drill press.

mmayo

When drilling a cheese slicer you do not want the hole in the center like a pen. The position is very critical (5" from the front edge and 1/4" down from the top) or the whole thing does not work. I too always drill pen blanks on my lathe and never on my drill press.

Top Bottom