Chatter when cutting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Keith Willis

I have a 10 X 18 harbor freight mini wood lathe. I realized that is not the most quality equipment to have however I have turned several hundred pen blanks without any problems. Due to some health issues as well as some other items that I make the lathe has not been used in probably close to a year. I will say that my memory is not that great but I do not remember having a problem before the last time I used it.
When Christmas time came around of course everyone wants pens, when I started using the lathe I have a bad chatter while cutting. It runs smooth just to let it run but once you put a tool to the wood,the further away from the chuck that you get it starts to chatter with a high pitch squeal which is terrible on the ears.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have. I hope I have given enough information, but if not I know you will let me know

God bless
Keith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

2 things come to mind..
1-Make sure the tailstock is tight against the end and locked,
2-Make certain your cutting tool is at the proper height to the thing you are turning...too low/high and chatter

Russ

Keith Willis

Thanks for the help guys. There are a couple of things I should probably check
Jesse, it is possible that the Mandrel is bent. I changed it out yesterday however it was not a new one and it's possible it could be bent as well.
I will also check out what Russ suggested about the tool and the tool rest. It could be a combination of both.
Thanks for the reply Gary but I just change the carbide inserts and both tools so I should be okay there, but again I say thank you to you all for the input. I still have a lot to learn and well never know it all. When I stop learning I will give it up hahaha

God bless

leehljp

Member Liaison
Read up on Turning Between Centers or TBC. There are numerous things that happen with mandrels that cause such things, and TBC will eliminate some:

1. Pulling up the tail stock too tight causes the mandrel to flex. Big/strong people, or over eager people do not realize how much pressure they use in pulling up the tail stock. Just a slight bit too much will introduce a "flex".
2. Using stock tail stock cup/center - in which the little pin-point is NOT 60° will cause a wobble. The tail stock live center MUST HAVE a 60° point on it to match the 60° dimple in the end of the mandrel.
3. Dull Tools (according to the need of turning the wood - Not what one subjectively determines what is sharp) Dull tools will turn wood but it takes more pressure. More pressure causes the mandrel to flex.
4. Too Loose (not tight enough) can cause chatter. Combine that with slightly dull tool and it will chatter.
5. Too much distance between the blank and the tool rest can cause flex and specifically chatter.
6. Bearings going bad can do that. It sat up for a year, you live in a HIGH humidity environment. Rust inside the bearings is a possibility, and if so, loose bearings can cause squeal and chatter when pressure is applied.

Keith Willis

After checking things out and then reading your list I thank you may have given me the answer I thank you all for the input I will let you know how it works

Top Bottom