Changing the standard Penn State Midi Lathe VS settings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howhale

I have the 10 inch PS VS Midi lathe. Wondering if anyone has changed the factory variable speed settings. I would like the slow speed belt setting to drop below the factory setting and the upper speed to be slightly higher than factory setting. This will reduce belt changes for the work I do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I have the 12" version. I called PSI Technical Service and spoke to Joe who walked me through the process. It's not difficult, but you do have to exercise some care - you could hurt yourself, and potentially damage the lathe if the screwdriver that you are using to adjust the speeds slips and strikes critical components in the controller box.

The basic process is:
1. Turn off the lathe
2. Remove the three screws that attach the control box to the bedways,, and flip the box up so that it rests on the bedways with the metal bottom plate facing up. Remove the four screws hold the metal plate in place, and flip the plate up and out of the way. Note that there is a ground wire attached to the plate - don't remove it.
3. There are three potentiometers on the 'mother board' in the controller that are marked H, L and F. The adjustments you want to make use the H and L potentiometers. You must not make any changes to the setting of the F potentiometer.
4. From the point on, be very careful. In particular, never let the screwdriver come in contact with any part of the controller other than the screw slots on the H and L potentiometers - including the grounded metal plate that forms the bottom of the box.
5. Turn on the lathe, and adjust the speed control on the front panel to its lowest setting. Carefully tweak the L potentiometer to adjust the speed at the lowest end of the range. My experience is that the speed will change very significantly with very minor rotation of the potentiometer - so proceed very tenuously. You can use the tachometer to judge the speed that you are getting. It doesn't matter which pulley you are on as long as you recognize that the speeds are doubled on the high-speed pulley.
6. With the lathe still on, adjust the speed control on the front panel to its highest setting. Carefully tweak the H potentiometer to adjust the speed at the high end of the range. Again, it doesn't matter which pulley you are on.
7. After adjusting H and L, run the front-panel speed control over its entire range to make sure that you are happy with the range of speeds that you are getting, then turn off the lathe.
8. Reattach the metal plate to the controller box, and then flip the box back to its normal position under the bedways, and reattach.

I normally have my lathe adjusted to give me a range of around 50-1800 r/min on the slow pulley, and twice that on the high speed pulley.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I didn't know this could be done. I am going to open the box on mine and see if it does this. I have the PSI VS motor and controller on my lathe.

howhale

Monophoto, thanks very much. This will definitely make my lathe much more functional for the work I am planning. Very helpful.

howhale

Made the adjustments as outlined above and worked great. As stated above, just be careful with the tool you select and care not to touch other surfaces. I unplugged the lathe to open the control box and get my bearings and decide upon the tool and approach then made the changes. Low range now set at about 100 to 2000. Expect the high range to be about double when belt position is changed. Thanks.

leehljp

Member Liaison
This is one of those "I WISH I HAD KNOWN THIS EARLIER" helps! Absolutely Great!

I bought a Rikon 12" back in 2006 and then in 2008, purchased PSI's add on motor with the same basic VS as you described (just older). I liked it much better than belt changing, but there were times that I still needed to change belts for a different range.

Louie, after you posted that bit of information above, I put it into my Pen Information Data Base. A few minutes ago, (while waiting on my wife to get things prepared to go for a doctors visit) I went to my lathe and with the instructions (printed out and in hand) I took the box off, made the adjustments and put the box back onto the lathe in a matter of 7 minutes from start to finish. Bottom end is set at 125 RPM and top end is set for 2500 RPM. (I used a tach for checking it.)

Thanks Howard for asking this!
Thanks Louie for the information. I have a feeling that this may have been posted earlier, and if it was, I missed it!

THANK YOU Both!

Top Bottom